Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Centuryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackdump

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
GB
Saw a van for a company called "Centuryan Security" today. Took one look at it and thought hmm... bad speller at work!

Given they offer security services including guards then 'centurion' would seem to be an apt name.

But am I wrong?, is this one of those words that can be spelled several ways? I'm sure I've seen it written that way somewhere before.

Since it's the name of a company, it's a proper noun and may be spelled any way the owner chooses.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

And perhaps the owners want to indicate that their company has been going for 100 years or more...

p5

Well, yes but...

A play on words maybe:
century = 100 years
Centuryan = of a century
and centurion is also a guard

so for a security company that's been around for ages (or one that intends to stay) the name does make some sense.

But what do I know? ;-)

p5

Or maybe they have one guard called Ryan who gets sent out everywhere.

I think their gaurd is a centaur named Ian who flunked spelling.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Yes, the name would stick in my head, too. But my immediate reaction would be the same as stackdump's - that they don't know how to spell.

Therefore I would probably never do any business with them.

Not great advertising in my book.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Seems to be from the UK. probably like colour and such.

The answer is "42"

In that case they might have been better called Centuryan Securaty.

Maybe BadBigBen has a point, could we be seeing the start of a trend?, with names featuring bad spelling; Americain Airlines, Generel Electric, Cisco Sistems, Texas Intraments..

@franklin97355 - being in the UK, I've never seen it spelled that way before.

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks - make sure most are the former.

Some deliberate mis-spelling allows for easier trademarking ("Cheez Whiz", anyone?) as well as standing out from those spelt correctly. Plenty of "Centurion" firms about; less "Centuryan". It does, however, support the contention that dumbing down is resulting in the rise of phonetic spelling.

soi la, soi carré

I think it was deliberately misspelled. As mentioned above, it sticks in your mind and it may have some significance to the owners. Plus "Centurion Security" may have already been used/copyrighted.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Kind of like the Syfy channel. Used to be SciFi I think. Or Cindy, Cindi, Cyndi, Sindi, Syndi or.......
These days, it's personal preference.

Paul

I heard through the "grape vine" that the change from SciFi to SyFy was a trade mark issue. :-(

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I heard the same - they couldn't trademark "Sci Fi," so they changed the spelling to something that isn't already in common usage.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Yup - It's in their FAQ on the SyFy website. They couldn't trademark Sci-Fi and branding is everything.

My wife's name is Judi but her brother refuses to spell it that way because it's "wrong". lol.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back