Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

center site on page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainwwater

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
Hi,
Here is the site I am working on. I am using DreamWeaver and have the whole site in tables within a table.
My Question:
How do I get the page to load so it is centered on individual users monitors?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Since you are using tables, have no doctype, and your site is mostly invalid. you might as well just use <center> tags around it to center it.

<center>site content here.</center>

However I strongly suggest you use a valid doctype, make your site valid, and move away from tables for layout.

Site Validator
Valid Doctypes
CSS webdesign tutorials

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Oh Goodness...Ignorance is most certainly not bliss...
How do I go about getting my site a doctype?
What is invalid on my site? How do I make it valid?

OK, I went to the link you suggested, and I guess you thought I was not being nice, and in my last post there were three questions. So, I will go ahead and try to figure out what you were trying to say and go from there. Thank you for trying to help, and I am sorry if I said something to upset you.

No you did not say anything to upset me, I just wasn't around to answer sorry. jhonwm was kind enough to point you to the validator results for your website.

In any case, The first link I gave you points to Validator results from your page. Those are the errors your page shows when attempting to be validated. So you should fix those. If you need help, just post back with the error giving you trouble and I'll try to explain it.

The second link shows you how to place a Doctype in your web page to help it validate. So read through it, and post back if you have any questions.

The third link are just some Google results concerning CSS tutorials. I suggest you read through them.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

You have :
Code:
<table width="600" border="0">

try this and see if it centers the table :
Code:
<table width="600" align="center" border="0">

Hope this helps.

i did get the site, finally, to center...thank you for the help.

the apology was directed to johnwm because he directed me to FAQ222-2244. i guess i just misunderstood.

i am going to continue to work on the doctype and site validator and css tutorials.

The link is part of my signature - it wasn't specifically directed at you, although it is a very helpful FAQ for any forum users. It's a gentle and polite version of . The original is much more direct, but has a better explanation of why people are willing to spend their time giving answers in forums

Steam Engine Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back