Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

center FRAMESET in middle of browser page

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubz

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
hello all...

site in question:

i have created this page in FRAMES because the client is going to be adding new sub catagories and changing the information page (which will go where the blue palm tree is) alot. so wanted to do it where i don't deal with reloading...

to look like godaddys page

anyway...
is there a way to make the entire site load into the middle of the page with white around it?

also, the client is talking about having ads (ugh) be on the right hand side... so i need to keep that in mind.

thank sin advance..

Godaddy's page doesn't use frames at all. I'd highly suggest against using frames and opt to use server side includes instead. They are just as easy to program with, and they keep template stuff away from the content.

-kaht

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?
sheepico.jpg

hey kaht,
okay, so if i want to learn or understand server-side-includes, what is the best way? and is dreamweaver the best for that?

thanks in advance.
jw

so if i want to learn or understand server-side-includes, what is the best way?

1) Contact your server administrator and ensure that your web server supports them.

2) Look up the syntax for them from google. Google can usually solve about 99.5% of all programming questions if you take the time to look and know what to look for.

-kaht

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?
sheepico.jpg

google it is!
thank you.
jw

okay, i'm dead in the water as godaddy doesn't support Server-side includes. and my client has purchased a long plan with them. so i believe this forces me back to my frames question. anyway to keep the frames in the center of the page with white boarders around left, right, top and bottom?

You've answered your own question haven't you? If you are going to use frames, then you just add the extra frames that you need. So the left border is a frame x pixels wide with a background color = white. (You can see why people don't like frames).

Also, you should bear in mind that it is really really annoying to have scroll boxes in the middle of the page. So if your text needs to be longer on a page, up pops those extra scroll bars and your users have to wake up sufficiently to realise that the browser's scroll bars won't do the job. Try not to have bottom frames if you can avoid it.

The client is going to change the page? Perhaps you should be considering selling him a copy of Contribute and then you create a template and map out the editable regions for the content sections. He can't mess up your navigation or layout - just the areas you allow. However ...... Contribute throws a wobbly with a CSS-P layout so you must use a table-based layout though of course the rest of the formatting can be done with CSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back