Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

center a popup

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarratech

Technical User
Jul 7, 2000
FR
I have trouble centering my popup on a page. Can anyone help me. I know i need to use the following variable to center the popup
var winl = (screen.width-w)/2;
var wint = (screen.height-h)/2;
but it doesn't work

Here is my function popup.js
var newWin = null;
function closeWin(){
if (newWin != null){
if(!newWin.closed)
newWin.close();
}
}
function popUp(strURL,strType,strHeight,strWidth) {
closeWin();
var strOptions="";
if (strType=="elastic") strOptions="toolbar,menubar,scrollbars,resizable,location,
height="+strHeight+",width="+strWidth;
newWin = window.open(strURL, 'newWin', strOptions);
newWin.focus();
}

I call it this way <a href="ma_fenetre.htm"
onclick="popUp(this.href,'console',400,200);return false;">link</a>

thanks

>if (strType=="elastic") strOptions="toolbar,menubar,scrollbars,resizable,location,
height="+strHeight+",width="+strWidth;

[1] toolbar etc parameters have to be assigned a value (yes|1) or (no|0) to be effective.
[2] To center, at least you have to assign the top and left edges distances.

Suppose listing toolbar etc you mean to keep them (yes or 1), otherwise, they should be set to =no or =0.
[tt]
if (strType=="elastic") strOptions="toolbar=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,location=1,height=" + strHeight + ",width=" + strWidth + ",top=" + wint + ",left=" + winl;
[/tt]
[3] The functionality does not warrant pixel-perfect rendrement, but you might fine .availHeight and .availWidth more satisfactory.
[tt]
var winl = (screen.availWidth-strWidth)/2; //or screen.width
var wint = (screen.availHeight-strHeight)/2; //or screen.height
[/tt]
[3.1] In any case, put them inside the function popUp().
[4] Your link assigns "console" to the function. If you want to test the effect, why not assign "elastic" to it?
[4.1] You might mean the reverse of the parameter (400, 200), ie, (...,200,400) meaning height 200 width 400. Just guessing.

It is working great! Thank you very much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back