Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cent OS Email Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

melida

Technical User
Jul 3, 2005
US
Hi everyone:

I have never used CentOS before, however a friend told me that it is a great option so I got a dedicated server with CentOS installed. However, I don't know how to configure different e-mail accounts. I was told that the mail server is installed but When I log in with SSH I only see these three files:
anaconda-ks.cfg install.log install.log.syslog

Can some please tell me know I can go about configuring the mail server and add mail boxes?

No problem but you need to tell us how you will be accessing the machine the mail server will be on. Will it be locally or remote? GUI or command shell? Will the machine be booting into run level 3 or 5? Sorry for asking more questions than I'm answering but all these make a difference on how you go about setting up the server. From what I understand, your os is compiled from Red Hat's Enterprise source code minus the copywrited stuff so almost everybody here should be able to help you.

Thanks for the replay. Here are the answers to your questions:
I connect remotely.
Through Command Shell.
Booting into run level 3.
Hope that helps!

You were told by whom that the mail server is installed? They could also tell you which one is there.

Try "rpm -qa | sort" for a list of installed packages; if the server was included in the initial installation, it'll be listed. Look for either "sendmail" (the default) or "postfix". I don't recall RH including any others. Which server is installed will determine how the configuration is done. If you want POP or IMAP access, then the imap package is also needed.

Creating different email accounts also depends upon the way the server will be used. Simply creating shell accounts is one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back