Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cells containing text are too deep in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niggle

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
I have only recently started using CSS's, and seem to be getting the basics right :)
However, I would like to be able to ensure that cells containing text keep nice and tight. Generally, (in IE for example), they exceed the depth of the text by a considerable amount and look wrong. In Safari and Netscape they look OK.
An example of what I mean is at - and you can see the effects in the lower frame in the set. In IE the cells always are twice the depth of the text.

same here....

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Hmmm - Thanks. maybe it's because I am using a Mac version of IE. 5.2.2
The cells show as being double the text height.

Thanks Chris,

I've just tried that but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Incidentally, my software (GoLive6) automatically creates pages with this as the default: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN&quot;>

I think I read somewhere that IE will ignore DOCTYPEs that don't include the proper URL, so try this one:
[tt]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN&quot; &quot;>
[/tt]

-- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

The real world's OK for a visit, but you wouldn't want to LIVE there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back