Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cellphone numbers to telemarketers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmazza

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
Does anyone have the REAL story on wheteher or not cell numbers will be sold on Jan 1 to telemarketers?

I heard this from a Nextel sales manager, a Verizon sales rep and a rep from AT&T (Cingular) - They are not selling the numbers to the "telemarketing companies" but they are working on a cell phone directory. The only way a cell phone number would be included in this directory is if the cellular user specifically requested to be in the directory. There would be no charge to those who do not wish to be included in the directory.

Of course, this may all change by the time Jan 1 gets here. Hope this helps, though.

Thanks - I heard the same. Verizon swears absolutely, positively will not participate.

Its a HOAX

QUOTE:

While it's true that the major wireless phone providers (with the exception of Verizon) have announced their intention to establish a 411 directory of customers' cell phone numbers beginning in late 2005, it is not true that they plan to "publish" said directory for any and all to read. Participating companies say the numbers will be made available only with customer consent and only via telephone to users who dial directory assistance and pay a fee.

The companies swear the numbers will never be available to telemarketers.

Not everyone believes that, however, as evidenced by a privacy protection bill already introduced in Congress which would modify the plan to allow 411 callers to be directly connected to requested parties without the latter's phone numbers being given out.

Per FCC regulations, telemarketers are already prohibited from calling cell phone numbers using automated dialers, which are standard in the industry.

If you read the regs on telemarketing, it does not regulate political, or it is either non-profit, or charitable organizations. Ofcourse, the laws never apply to the law makers! I have even seen political orgs send out the caller ID for the local directory assitance as the incoming caller ID to the called party. I thought falsifying your CID was against FCC regs also, but the FCC does not seem to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back