Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cell formatting bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo33

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
AU
Anybody know why a cell in Excel will not want to format?? I have a spreadsheet with data I have imported from a database. The spreadheet is not protected, of course.

Either rightclick -> format cells, or Format -> Cells, just do not work, it doesn´t do anything!!

Help please, this seems like a stupid problem, but it is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

I had this problem recently. It turned out to be some conditional formatting I put on the cell and had forgot about.

What are you trying to do ???
What format are you trying to apply ??

Rgds
Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I am just trying to apply a number format to the cells, but the fact that not even the formatting window opens up, really bugs me!!
Thanks anyway.

Since the data was downloaded from a database, Excel will treat all values as text. the solution i used to use was that i placed the value 1 next to each each value that i wanted to update as numeric, then i multiplied it by copying a using paste special and choosing to multiply the numeric values by the '1' value to the right. that will convert numeric values that are behaving like text.

Jamie

... or if you know vba programming, you code use the following code

for each cell in selection
cell = cell * 1
Next

or

Do Until ActiveCell = ""
Activecell = Activecell * 1
ActiveCell.Offset(1,0).select
Loop

either loop should work for you if applied appropriately

Jamie 'DeVry'

JaimeDeVry - some extra info for you - for converting text to numbers, you don't need to put a 1 in every cell
put a 1 in one cell
copy it
select all the cells you want to convert
Goto Edit>PasteSpecial choose values and multiply et voila - saves time over putting a 1 in every cell....

Rgds
Geoff
Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back