Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cell Edits on one worksheet affect another.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

basepointdesignz

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm having a few issues with Excel 2003:

In the job i do, i need to use a pre-made spreadsheet for scheduling materials. Sometimes when i enter a value in a cell on one of the worksheets, it affects and changes the cells on some of the other worksheets within the file. There is no formula within the cell, its just a number value or sometimes text and looking at the VBAIDE, there isn't any macros or vb coding within any of the worksheets or the workbook itself. All the cells being used in the workbook are just formatted to except text or numbers, nothing erroneous..

I first thought it started when we loaded a macro-enabled workbook up and in that they had certain cells with fomulae that copy to other worksheets, but i'm still having the issue with a standard xls file..

I have to add more worksheets to each file sometimes and do that by obviously copying the sheet over and the issue only seems to affect the previous sheets - ie, if i edit the cell in the third page, it would affect the cells in the 1st and 2nd, but not the 4th worksheet..

I've tried to look at the options to see if there's a setting that has been inadvertenly turned on / off but can't see anything it might be..

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul
basepointdesignzltd..
XP Pro..
Pentium Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
4GB DDR2 RAM
2 x SLI NVIDIA 8500GT SLi 1024MB DDR2 PCI-Express Graphics Cards

hi,
I first thought it started when we loaded a macro-enabled workbook...
Cell values do not change in a sheet, unless the cell contains a formula or a macro changes something.

What happens if you do not open the macro enabled workbook?

If this anamoly fails to appear when you remove the macro enabled workbook, then you know that the culprit is the macro enabled workbook. In that event, the designer of that workbook needs to correct the code.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Just a thought, but make sure that you do not have any sheets grouped.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Good call, Glenn. I missed that one!

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies - i worked out that i when i used to print a selection of the worksheets out, i forgot to unselect them all, so any edits would affect the other sheets so as Glenn said, they were grouped and that was the issue..

Cheers Glenn and everyone else :)

Cheers,

Paul
basepointdesignzltd..
XP Pro..
Pentium Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
4GB DDR2 RAM
2 x SLI NVIDIA 8500GT SLi 1024MB DDR2 PCI-Express Graphics Cards

Glad to help. :)

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Paul,

Give that boy, Glenn, a [purple]STAR[/purple], I say, give him a [purple]STAR[/purple]!

Skip,
[sub]

well I've given him a star anyway. I keep a list of Excel useful features that, once turned on, cause apparently anomalous, horrible behaviour that scares the living daylights out of all other users who weren't aware they exist.

My all-time favourite is fixed decimal places when entering data (like, 3 days later, we are stil wondering why typing 3 causes the cell to hold 0.03, and everyone is having to type 300, and getting frustrated).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back