Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Celeron processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

walks

Technical User
May 7, 2001
CA
I have a computer running a Celeron 500. Ive tried installing a linksys 10/100 card so I can connect it to the internet through a netgear rt314 router but have failed in attempts to reach the internet. The device manager says it is working but I cant get on the Network or the internet.

I have two devices in the device manager with yellow exclamtion points next to them. One is a PCI Communications Device (modem) and the other is a Unknown Device. Is it possible that these are posing the problem? I have an IBM 300GL 6682 (or 28). The modem is a Diamond(Rockwell Conexant) R6795-12 modem. Ive downloaded the drivers off of the IBM website but they arent working either. As for the Unknown Device I havent the slightest clue as to what it could be. The sound and video both work perfectly and the only other things in a PCI slot are the modem and network card...

Anyone have any suggestions?

When you have hardware that are not install its not very good i think. First get those working. I recommend delete all three devices. The tow yellow exclamation and the network caard. After that reboot. When he reboot it must ask you to install drivers for those 3 devices. Be sure it accepts the right one. If after that all is working just go in your TCP/IP configuration and be sure to make your card DHCP that means she will get an IP from the router(if your router is DHCP i hope). After that if it is still not working tell me where your stuck.

Don't ask Bill Gates he won't know. It will say it's not a bug it's a feature :)

Have a nice day

I'm assuming that when you stated that device manager shows that it's working, that you are refering to the linksys nick card? If it is showing good in device manager, check out your network settings and see if the linksys show's up there. IF it is not, then it is safe to assume that it is possible that the drivers did not take and the unknown device is the nick card. Boot into safe mode, and check device manager there for all of your hardware. You may find 2 or more modems. Any hardware you see more than 1 of, remove all of them under that hardware heading, unless you physically have 2 of that hardware installed. Windows 98 is known to sometimes have several of one type of drivers installed, which will cause many problems when running in normal mode, which will only show 1 used, but it may be using the wrong driver.

fedto [cheers]

I suggest that you reinstall all drivers for the devices marked by an exclamation point then reboot. If the problem still persists, find and download PCITree. PCITree will tell you detailed information about the cards inside of your computer, even your Unknown Device. Once, using that program, you find the correct name, model, ect. of the devices that have problems, go to and find the drivers there. Good luck. --Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is beleiving you are too secure."

As I understand it, you have 2 problems: 1. Modem, 2.LAN

1- the reason there are 2 yellow markers in your control panel is that Conexant Modems have also a Communication Controller Device. You must first reload drivers for “PCI Communication Device” (the controller and not the Modem) then your OS will automatically recognise the Modem (the unknown device is the Modem).

2- you have not given any detail of your OS or LAN setup so no specific help could be provided at the moment. Assuming everything is ok then the next logical step would be to check the cable connecting the NIC to the Router.

In case of your LAN and the Internet, a more detailed info is required. If you are not sure what info to provide please let us know

Good luck

Ive got the LAN set up so theorotically it should work. Ive set it up the same way on my other 98 SE computers and its worked perfectly.

Ill try the unknown device as the modem. I have downloaded numerous drivers for this modem but have had the same result....saying they are not the right drivers. One thing Im certain on is the LAN, I know its working. I have another computer out there where I am workin and when it is plugged in it works beautifully. Im guessing that this has to do with the two devices that arent working in the device manager.

Hi Walks
Re-Modem: Conexant Modems will automatically be recognised only when the correct drivers for the Controller has been loaded. You need the card manufacturer’s drivers and not the Chip manufacturer’s one. Attempting to load the modem drivers without the correct drivers for Controller is a total waste of time.

Good luck

Does anyone have some good sites where I can find these drivers?

The modem is not the unknown device. I removed the modem from the computer and removed both devices from the device manager. Upon reboot the unknown device was still being detected. Downloaded PCITree but dont really understand the program. I know I downloaded the right drivers for my modem but it still dont work, Im assuming this unknown device is affecting why it wont work. I tried loading the modem drivers for the unknown device but still nothing.

Boy oh boy I am stumped on this one, anyone have anything else?

I highly doubt that modem drivers or those "unknown devices" are causing the troubles. Windows 98 is actually a well built OS and the network card should work if properly installed and functioning.

Here's a couple things.

Does the network card work in another computer? It's not too uncommon to get a dead NIC.

Sometimes how the browsers are set up, they do not easily switch over from using dial-up adapter to using lan access (even when dial-up adapter is removed). I had this once, and the only way I could get it to work was reload Windows.

Can you see other computers on the network? Is it just the internet that's not functioning?

Nope the network all together isnt working. I would think the card should work as its brand new. Ill test it in another computer to see if it works though.

As far as reloading Windows...I just formatted the computer and reloaded everything myself. Everything is working great except for these things. The network card isnt as big as an issue as the modem and unknown device. Those two things are the ones that are really buggin me, Im sure I can solve the network card problemo.

Keep em coming please! :)

Nobody has any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back