Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ceboynd iad router pri cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfalfa

Technical User
Oct 28, 2005
US
i am cutting with ceboynd that has cisco iad router, it has been my experience that when you use a router it becomes a gateway and the only way to effectively program the merlin magix ds1 is to set it up for network-pbx, i have a cust though that needs caller id with network you loose cid. has anyone made a magix work well with cisco iad router, that will make everyhting work.

Cbeyond is very popular here in the Denver area.

HOWEVER, early on they developed a SPECIAL LOAD OF SOFTWARE, just for the Legend & Magix that uses 5-ESS Emulation.

As for that and you will be in good shape.

so my standard 5ess switch type like normal setup is fine on my end

alfalfa,

I would be very interested in your experiences with Cbeyond and the results of the cutover. I have a client that may be considering the same and want as much info as possible, and how cooperative their technical folks are.

I do know they are using Cisco 2821 router packages. My client also is served from a 5ESS switch currently.

Thanks in advance for any input.

....JIM....

alfalfas cut is now active using normal Merlin Pri programming via cisco IAD. The CBeyond tech(contractor) had to blank out and load the router several times before the unit would sync properly. I'm amazed and happy.

However my cut this morning with Nuvox and a 2400 IAD did not go well and the customer is still using the previous provider via 5E and smart jack.

So CarGoSki,

Were you involved in alfalfa's cut?

I do not know who Nuvox is.

I had a HORRIBLE cut this morning/afternoon with Qwest.

It was a PRI-T1, we got everything connected, and as expected all lights WENT OUT (A good sign).

BUT, we had no service.

I double and triple checked all my programming.

I even went to the trouble to go get another 100-D T1 module, but yet, no service.

QWEST kept saying "there's no problem with our stuff....."

SO, I imposed on my Cbeyond customer (who's switch was mounted next to the Qwest client.) and I "BORROWED" their Cbeyond PRI just to test my T1 card (they are both set up for 5-ESS).

I swapped the Qwest PRI into their switch, (it didn't work, of course) and put the Cbeyond circuit into my QWEST CLIENT's switch, and it worked just fine in my client's system.

When I swapped them back, A MIRACLE HAPPENED, the Qwest circuit worked in my client's system and of course, the Cbeyond worked OK where I borrowed it from.

Of course, QWEST said they had done nothing.

Yes, another TELEPHONE MIRACLE.

alfalfa and I work at the same place and work on the same systems.

alfalfas cut only went green after the cbeyond IAD had been blanked out to default several times and the config loaded into it.

The Nuvox guy had to upgrade his IAD and reload the script to the IAD. Perhaps the IAD would have eventually worked if he had defaulted and loaded a few more times.

The IAD would sync to a patch cord plugged into it with the cord not plugged into anything on the other end of the cord. So the unit definately had some issues. The IAD would sync to his TBerd and his TBerd would sync to the 100D in 5E mode but the IAD never synced to the 100D.

Perhaps there is still an issue with the 2400 series cisco. alfalfas cut was the first I have seen an IAD and Merlin set to PRI work.

I have seen a Merlin set to Merlin net and an IAD work but we lost caller ID.

There has to be some method to this madness. It is apparent that an IAD *CAN* work correctly under the right circumstances. I am very interested in learning the IAD firmware and software load and the script on the IAD that works so that I can give something concrete to the provider in the future.

This time I had the benefit of changing providers so I could plug back into what worked. That was a standard partitioned PRI where an Adtran DSU broke out ten chans plus D for voice and the rest for data.

alfalfa simply programmed his rig and stood firm until cbeyond sorted out their rig. alfalfa cycled the magix several times to make sure that the circuit re-synced.

A Santera T9000 softswitch(USLec -Paetec)can work but will fail on a power loss or recycle or reboot. Even when it does work there are reports of chops and drops and crackles. Very similiar to a DMS without the trunk subgroup set. They apparently have some more work to do with their firmware and software.

I am still surprised but very happy that I have finally seen one work. I will chill some champagne but will wait until I have some working IAD specs in my hand before imbibing.

Santera and Cisco can use "Custom" or "5E Custom". Apparently "Custom" attempts to auto config to what it is connected to.

As far as the Cbeyond load, I could have given you a client's phone number for them to use as an example to find out how it is supposed to be set up.

As I stated earlier, they (Cbeyond) have a custom load they use with the Legend/Magix that works quite well.

And, I have several clients with that load.

I have also learned that the goal of most CLecs in Atlanta is to phase out the 5es in favor of IADs and Softswitches. Tekelec softswitches - media gateway(santera T9000) via Tekelec SS7 seems to be the chosen model. Apparently ILecs like the former Bellsouth will keep their 4 and 5es and DMSes for now.

So this will not go away and is important to discover the nuts and bolts of what does work for a Merlin.

I disagree.

My philosophy is that would be the responsibility of the Service Provider.

I agree with merlinman, that correct and working provisioning of service is the responsibility of the Service Provider and NOT the client or their vendor!!

I find this all very interesting and I will have a few questions for the Cbeyond engineer when I contact him for my client.

....JIM....

I hear ya and agree to the point where a cut is postponed or rescheduled because it won't work. I would rather have the info to offer up so I can go do something else. I would rather not play "My stuff is working". I would rather put a sharp stick in my eye than waste time 'waiting".

But then again it's all money in my pocket.

As I said previously:

HOWEVER, early on they developed a SPECIAL LOAD OF SOFTWARE, just for the Legend & Magix that uses 5-ESS Emulation.

AND

I could have given you a client's phone number for them to use as an example to find out how it is supposed to be set up.

So, your statement of:

I would rather have the info to offer up....

would be taken care of by my CLIENT EXAMPLE.

Don't 'cha think?

Now, lets talk about a new kid on the block, INTEGRA.

Never heard of them, and now they are ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I had H E Double HOCKEY STICKS trying to make one of their PRI's do INTERNATIONAL CALLS.

But I did figure it out.

I am not sure how much different LECs share info between each other but I did get the IAD specs from CBeyond on a working IAD to Merlin. This is from alfalfas cut.

Cisco 2430
Bootstrap ROM: 12.3.7RT2
IOS: C2430-IS-MZ.124-4T2_PATCH_V6.BIN

Nuvox

Bootstrap 12.3.7RT2
IOS C2400-IS-M-12.3-11T10.BIN

Works for Merlin 5E Pri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back