Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE9.0 Compatibility with Windows 2003 & IIS 6 web server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrysUser

Programmer
Apr 21, 2003
US
In our environment we have the CE 9.0 web connector installed separetly on our intranet server and all other crystal server components on a different box. Our internet admin wants to upgrade the intranet server box to windows 2003 and hence the IIS to 6.0. Is crystal 9.0 compatible with windows 2003.

Any toughts are greatly appreciated.

Just went through the same issue and the short answer is yes. win 2003 and IIS6 are now on the supported environments list for CE9. I have a web connector installed on a win 2003 box in the DMZ which communicates with my win200 box behind a NAT firewall that runs the WCS and other CE servers.

Regards
Chuck LaRue
ADRS Computer Services

Wonderful!!
Thanks for the quick response.

Ok what about

Quote:

IMPORTANT:

Internet Information Services (IIS) 6 is not supported as a web server for Crystal Enterprise 9.

Therefore, Windows 2003 server is supported for Crystal Enterprise 9 components but is not supported as a web server for Crystal Enterprise 9.

So you are telling me it actually does work (i would be really happy about it)

I'm a CE noob sorry so am i talking about the same things you guys are talking about ? <g>

i really need the webserver part running...

That is a rather disturbing article to read. i am in fact however running the Web connector on IIS6 and have encountered no issues to date.

Regards
Chuck LaRue
ADRS Computer Services

well I am running it with no problems so far on both a server and a laptop (for testing). However it is early days...

I contacted CD tech support znd got the following response:
&quot;The issues I have seen have to do with the level of security of IIS6 and how it can conflict with the Web Connector. I do not know if or when IIS6 will be on the supported platforms for CE9. When we say a platform is unsupported what it boils down to is we have no escallation path if the issue cannot be resolved. If you can get it to work thats great. If you call into tech support we will always try to assist you but if a is an issue cannot be resolved we cannot take it to the next level of having the issue resolved in a patch or hotfix.
&quot;

Regards
Chuck LaRue
ADRS Computer Services

I do believe that they &quot;excluded&quot; IIS6 at some time after they announced their &quot;support&quot; of Windows 2003. I am now in the unfortunate situation of being told that I am not in compliance since I have IIS6 and they will not help me with any of my issues. I have an email that I sent that I copied part of the platforms support info that I sent to my IT person when we started our upgrade. There is *no* mention under 2003 support that IIS6 was excluded.. anyone else remember this?

Lisa

Hi,
There may be some confusion caused by the fact that in cjlarue's setup the Web Connector ( which does not need to use the APS and does not need CE-specific secuirty authentication ) is the ONLY thing running under IE6 and Server 2003 - Everything else is running under W2K..

[profile]

Yes, what I was stating is that they didn't come out with the disclaimer until some time *after* they said they were supporting 2003.

Ok,

I'm not sure if anyone has this scenario, but would it make sense that if CE 9.0 is installed on Server 2003 w/ IIS6, but the Web Connector is placed on a 2000 w/ IIS5 if this configuration would work? Let me know your thoughts and if this situation would be considered &quot;supported&quot; by CD. Thanks.

Does anyone know whether Crystal 9 Professional will run on Terminal Server 2003?

Thanks!!

Hi,
Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with Crystal and IIS 6! I purchased Crystal Reports V9 after receiving an e-mail from Crystal with a link for supported platforms. After checking that Windows 2003 server was supported, I went ahead and ordered. Crystal Reports V9 was shipped with Crystal Enterprise Report Application Server (RAS) V9 so that the reports could be run over the internet - one of the reasons we purchased it! I assumed as CR 9 was supported that CE RAS 9 was also supported - silly me! I now find that the RAS is not supported with IIS 6, and apparently never was, so I cannot view my reports on the web! I have tried Crystal's suggestion of running IIS 6 in IIS 5 isolation mode, but have had no success with this!
I'd be interested to know if anyone overcame the problem, and how?!

Cheers

I actually did get to speak to a crystal engineer (in an unoffical capacity) before I did my installation. I had read the article listed above and was worried about it.

He basically said, that he had it running on iis 6/win 2k3 webserver, with the WCS on another win 2003 machine, and it works for him.

He said there had been reports of it not working in some cases but they couldn't find out what situations produced the problems, so they left iis6 support out in CE 9 -- but in most situations it seems to work.

However, everyone is right when they say that technically they don't have to support it, but since most people are paying big money for this, I'm sure they'd try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back