Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE8 Scheduling Report to different formats 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netcruzers

Vendor
Jun 29, 2001
US
I recently installed CE8 and of course noticed the loss of functionality from Info...Has anyone been able to schedule reports to another format? I understand that you would need to do some CSP coding, however, if there are any documents that have an example of this, it would be extremely helpful....thanks

Hi,
this is exerpt from the release notes of Enterprise 8.0

"- When scheduling reports, Crystal Enterprise does not provide users with format and destination options at schedule time."

The release notes are located in the root-directory of your ce8.0 cd the filename is release.rtf . There ist as whole chapter for existing seagate info-users.
greetings from germany

Lutz99.....thanks for the post...I have read the release notes and have seen that this functionality is not included in the base product, however, I have heard that using CSP you can create this functionality. CE8 does export to other formats, except it is manually....so I imagine that modifying/enhancing the scheduling can be done via CSP....

One of the Crystal Decisons Partner Apos delivers a solution for this and a update to e-portfolio

They have a Distribution Server for Crystal Enterprise

see for details

Here is some rough CSP that exports a report instance to a specified filepath as a PDF. This should give you some ideas on how to do this...

Cheers,
Alan

-------------------------------
Code:
(APS logon code snipped and you need the SI_ID of the instance - left as a exercise for the reader ;-)

' Get the RPT file
Set ceInfoObjects = ceInfoStore.Query("Select SI_NAME, SI_UISTATUS, SI_FILES From CI_INFOOBJECTS Where SI_ID=" & Cstr(lInstanceID))

sFileSpec = "c:\temp\myReport.rpt"
ceInfoObjects.Item(1).Files.Item(1).CopyTo sFileSpec

' Export the RPT file to PDF
Set crApplication = CreateObject("CrystalRunTime.Application")
Set crReport = crApplication.OpenReport(sFileSpec)
crReport.DisplayProgressDialog = False
crReport.ExportOptions.DestinationType = 1 'Disk
crReport.ExportOptions.FormatType = 31 'PDF
crReport.ExportOptions.PDFExportAllPages = True
crReport.ExportOptions.DiskFileName = "c:\temp\myReport.pdf"	
crReport.Export False 'Don't Prompt

' Free file handle and delete RPT file
Set crReport = Nothing
Set crApplication = Nothing
Set srFileSystem = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
srFileSystem.DeleteFile(sFileSpec)
Alan Eldridge
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the info and code.....that would be for exporting the report, but will it be scheduled? If not, any CSP code that you have showing this? Any help is appreciated...thanks

See CE8_Advanced_CSP.pdf and ce8_schedule_ondemand.zip at Crystal Decisions technical briefs. The second file is a bit hard to find. I can send it to you if you don't find it.

Thanks....I will take a look at the docs you mentioned

Thanks all. Could I ask another similar question?
I know how to schedule a report exporting to PDF format now, but how can I schedule the report to PDF format and print it to network printer at CE?

Wait for CE 8.5 it will have exporting to different formats plus printer and email

Note that scheduled reports destined for the printer must be in Crystal Report format, not PDF format.

I have got the schedule to SMTP and destination working but am having a problem with Schedule to printer. I have tried enterig a printer name into the relevant place but receive an error ' Info Server cannot access the specified printer ! ', hence does not schedule. Do I need to do anything prior to getting this to work or is there a specific way I should be entering the network printer name.

Any Help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Hi,
You have to specify the printername like this
\\printserver\printername

If you are using CE 8.0 Professional and have paid maintenance you should be entitled to an upgrade to CE 8.5 Professional. The CE 8.5 Professional feature set is a lot closer to the feature set of Seagate Info than the feature set provided by CE 8.0 Professional.

CE 8.5 has been out for a few months now. If there are not any technical reasons for upgrading I would upgrade and then use the built in schedule to destination / schedule to format built in features. I think it would be a lot easier than writing custom CSP code to get CE 8.0 to do what you want it to do.
Regards,
Steve Remington
Wave Business Solutions
steve.remington@wavebusiness.com.au

I have just upgraded to CE 8.5 and I have tried to print a scheduled report using the destination function. I am only receiving blank pages.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back