Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE10 CMS does not start....Tried everything I can think of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajeshgooner

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2004
GB
I hope that someone can help me with this.

I have installed an evaluation version of SQL Server 2000 on my laptop which is operating with Windows XP Pro. The microsoft site says that this is fine and that no service packs are required.

I then installed a 30 day evaluation copy of CE10 English Pro edition. I carried out a new install with no cluster (when I tried yes, it asked me to specify a dsn and when I clicked on the dsn button, no action) and everything is fine until right at the end, the install proclaims it cannot Log on to the CMS and asks to provide a user name and password with the following authentication types available: windowsNT, enterprise, LDAP. I have tried numerous combinations to no avail.

I then did not log on and looked in the CMC. All services apart from CMS were running. Could not get it to start. Tried changing local system account it runs under to my one (which is also a local administrator). Still no joy.

I have also created a crystal user in sql server and used this in the install. The CE10 database and odbc were both created during install. I don't know what to do or what else to check. The port 6400 is free to use for the CMS.....Any other checkpoints?

Hi,
What errors are reported in the event log when you try to start the CMS..Did you check the configuration tab to see if you are connected to the database it uses correctly?
Did you have it create a SqlServer database or use the MSDE one? Did it ask for a username/password?

( as an aside, by default, the initial account to use in the CMC is administrator, no password, and Enterprise authentication)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

THanks for the reply. Apologies for the long message!!! This is what the event log is showing...

1. Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Crystal_WebConnector
Event Category: (15)
Event ID: 34400
Date: 01/06/2005
Time: 12:03:28
User: N/A
Computer: UK755629
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 34400 ) in Source ( Crystal_WebConnector ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages
from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description;
see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
Cannot get a reference to the Web Component Server: host: uk755629, port: 6401.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Crystal_CrystalMS
Event Category: General
Event ID: 35100
Time: 12:03:30
Description:
Crystal Management Server started

Event Type: Error
Event Category: NameServer
Event ID: 48112
Time: 12:03:31
Description:
Failed to connect to name server UK755629. Reason: Transport error: unable to retrieve the CMS factory..

Event Type: Error
Event Category: Services
Event ID: 35101
Time: 12:03:31
Description:
The root server reported an error Initialization Failure.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Crystal_WebConnector
Event Category: (15)
Event ID: 34400
Time: 12:03:39
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 34400 ) in Source ( Crystal_WebConnector ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages
from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description;
see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

Event Type: Information
Event Category: General
Event ID: 35100
Time: 12:03:40
Description:
Crystal Management Server stopped

2. The database created is in SQL Server 2000. It did ask for username and password. I initially used the user account I created in SQL Server (crystal) with all the relevant permissions (ie create database).

I then tried to use my windows account and later on through the install got this message:

error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package. A dll required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personel or package vendor.

3. Configuration tab looks ok. Have tested DSN entry and it works in ODBC administrator.

Is there any more info I can give......

Hi,
The most informative message is:

If the web component server cannot be found, nothing else will work..
Is the server actually named UK755629?
Double check the Web Component server's configuration and also be sure nothing is blocking any ports( especially if using SP2 with XP - could be a firewall issue)

[profile]

Turkbear,

Thanks again. I can start the wcs but am unable to see if these servers are enabled as the cms does not start.

The server name is correct and no firewall. Have used netstat to check ports and does not appear to be any issues there. Anything else I could check with regards to the naming of the servers.....

I've re-installed a few times now.

thanks in advance

I've also tried a new keycode but same old issues. When the install comes to near completion it prompts to log onto CMS but every password and username combo does not work (including Administrator with no password for enterprise authentication).

This is really getting frustrating. Are there any other utilities I can use to monitor what is causing the problem such as any other network restrictions...

Hi,
Try this..Uninstall SqlServer and CE...
Install CE and let it set up a MSDE database for the CMS..
( It will do this by default, if SqlServer is not 'found' )
If all goes well and it now works, read the docs about migrating the CMS database and, after installing SqlServer again, if you want, you can migrate the CMS to your SqlServer database.

[profile]

THanks again but forgot to mention that I tried this initially before installing sql server. CMS still would not start up. MSDE was installed but same problems came up.

Hi,
Just a quick question ( or 2):
Are you logged in as an Administrator when installing this?
What error did MSDE show in the Event Log?

[profile]

I was logged in under my userid which is set up in the administrators group. I was carrying out the install whilst on the LAN.

Should I try it standalone?

The MSDE threw up the same root initialization failure message.

Hi,
Th error:
error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package. A dll required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personel or package vendor. may indicate some problems unrelated to CE or SqlServer - Be sure all updates have been applied to the Workstation.

(For CE, are you using a CD or a downloaded install method)

Not sure what error you are referring to with
same root initialization failure message. as I do not see that in the previous posts..
Try standalone using the actual administrator account...

[profile]

I know I've seen this before.. But I cannot recall what we did too correct it. The default login account for CE Services is the 'local system account' Change this to a valid system admin account. Sounds to me like it's a security issue.

Although you are installing across the network are you using a remote control session to the server that CE is going to be installed on ? If yes, are the install files already on that server as it can sometimes cause problems if they are being installed across a network.

Finally, are you able to get the CE install to complete at all ? If yes, you can look at the Crystal Configuration Manager (Start Menu/Programs/Crystal Enterprise..)on the CE server to check the status of the server components such as Web Connector.
ShortyA

Cheers Guys,

Turkbear - apologies, the error I was referring to was the 'The root server reported an error Initialization Failure' one. I've tried a reinstall and do not get the error with the windows installer anymore. I've checked all updates to windows/sql server and seems up to speed.

Blurredvision - May be a security issue and will try a standalone install as turkbear mentioned with admin password.

ShortyA - I did manage to get the install to complete however the CCM shows all components/servers running apart from the CMS. Only doing a local install on a single workstation.

I'm going to try the standalone install and see what this does. Will keep you updated. Thanks again guys.

Perhaps check the config of the Web Connector on the CCM to check the port that it is running on. From what I remember there is part of the command line that will set the port that the components are working on. Also, do you have any firewall installed as this could be causing issues with the web connector if it is blocking certain ports.

Let us know how things go.
ShortyA

It's worth noting that if you are using a system account for the services to run, when you enter it on install, it's domain\username, as opposed to just the username. Not specifying the domain will return an error.

Reinstall, specifying this detail during the install if you haven't already done so.

Naith

All,

Thank you very much for all the responses that have proved helpful in resolving this. I had to speak to the system administrators who confirmed that there were personal firewalls on machines. I then had myself added to a group to enable a more 'transparent' firewall (even though I was administrator group on the machine). I then reinstalled and lo behold everything has worked out. CMS starts!!!

Once again, thanks for the responses, something that didn't happen on the BO website forums. It pointed to the security issues.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back