Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE 9 : Killing Locked Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnPDuffy

Technical User
Apr 4, 2005
US
I have Crystal Enterprise 9 and my users are not always using the logoff button to exit the application which causes the sessions to rely upon the server timeouts to kill them. Unfortunately, I have noticed that they are not always getting killed, and with only 10 concurrent licenses to offer my company that could be a huge problem. Crystal Tech Support told me to lower my server timeouts, but I am told that I can develop a VB application to log into the enterprise and then the system DB to then kill the locked sessions. Does anyone know if that is a reasonable solution? If so, does anyone currently employ this type of application that I could get a copy of? I am a database guy, VB apps are not within my wheelhouse, so any code examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

Thanks for replying to my post on configuring the Global Dynamic Parameters in XI.

Long back I wrote a piece of code that cleans the licenses the moment the end user clicks the "X" on the browser. This code was tested only against IE. If you need shoot me a email, I will send the code for you. The code I have is for CE10, you can implement similarly for CE9.

Enjoy

Srinath
srinath_p (at) yahoo.com

We ran into a similar problem shortly after installing CE 9 last year. We updated our timeouts to close sessions after 2 minutes of inactivity. However, certain users' sessions were not being closed. After discussion with BO we installed the latest hot fixes, which resolved the issue.

We subsequently installed SP1 and then SP2 for CE9 and the issue has not recurred. So if you haven't installed any of the Service Packs you may want to try that.

We are already running SP2. I called and spoke with Crystal as well, but because I am not on a clustered configuration they told me that they could not fix my problem with that hotfix.

Our timeouts are set at 10 minutes, but that doesn't catch everything. This is a short term solution, because as soon as we migrate to BOXI in August we will need to continue killing sessions manually as users continue to not "LOGOFF" the system.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back