Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE 10 CR 10 and Microsoft Access Database Logon Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milzy

Technical User
Jan 1, 2003
AU
Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem with CE 10. I have created a very simple report in CR 10 which retrieves data from an access 2000 database. I can run the report and view the information in CR10. I used the "Access/Excel (DAO)" data source to connect to the database. I used UNC paths so that any computer on our network can connect to the database. Once the report was working I saved it in CE10. I then went into CMC to the report and clicked on the process tab and then on database to look at the connection information. The "Use original database logon information from the report" radio button is ticked. The username is set at Admin and the password is blank because the database has no password protection.

When I try and run the report I get the following error
"Unable to retrieve Object. The database logon information for this report is either incomplete or incorrect." I tried removing the username and then I tried setting a database password. Still to no avail.

I am having this issue for EVERY access database I try to connect to. 97, 2000 everything. This only happens in CE. When I run the reports in CR (even on the same server) they work fine. Has anyone had this same issue? If so have they found a solution? Thanks.

I have a feeling I understand what the problem could be. The username that is trying to access the folder with the database in there. See these databases are on network drives with folder permissions on them. How can I tell what account is actually trying to access the folder so that I can give it the permission it needs?

It's probably what you've guessed.

Make sure that the account used for the CE services has permission to access the folders. You can check it under services I believe.

Probably the account used to install CE.

-k

That was the issue. I changed the user account that the services used and then gave this user account access to the folder and "voila" it worked!!

I just didn't know what account was accessing the folder.

Thanks again synapsevampire!!!

I am having the same issue as Milzy, and despite the advice received in this and other posts, still can't seem to resolve the issue. I have an Access 2000 database (no user name and password was used) on a shared Novell network drive. I created the report with CR10, and used the UNC path to the database. The report works fine when run from CR10. I published the report to CE10 (running on a Unix box). In the CMC under the report database properties, the original database logon information lists \\SERVERNAME\FOLDER\SUBFOLDER\DB Name.mdb as both the Server and database. This database information returns a "Failed to load database information" error. If I select in the CMC to use custom database logon information, I receive a "The database logon information for this report is either incomplete or incorrect" if I use the ODBC driver. If I use a custom driver called "crdb_dao" I receive a "Failed to load database with custom driver..." error. The above errors occur whether or not I set the user name as "Admin". The custom database logon information uses \\SERVERNAME\FOLDER\SUBFOLDER as the Server, and DB Name.mdb as the Database.

I have a basic grasp of what synapsevampire refered to when he replied "make sure the account used for the CE servises has permission to access the folder. You can check it under services..." However, I have no idea where to check this, and our Unix administrator was no help. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,
I am not sure ( actually I am pretty sure you can't) you can use UNC notation on a UNIX box...Access is a Windows file system program so you would need to Mount the Windows drive where the .mdb files are located on your UNIX box's file system ( details left to your Unix Admin)..

Then try using that mount point to reference your Access database files..
Using a windows app ( or its files) from Unix is problematic at best...

Note: I believe that there are ODBC drivers that ( with added software on the Windows side) can connect to Windows from Unix, but I do not see one for Access

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back