Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE 10.0 Program Objects 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie2

Programmer
Jul 28, 2004
US
Hi,

Doing some testing in CE 10.0. Want to try and see how Program Object works.

For that, wrote a small batch file as follows and named it delete.bat:
------------
cd\
mkdir test
cd test
copy c:\deleteme.txt
--------------
(Note: deleteme.txt does exist in C: root.)

When I run this batch file from command prompt/windows, it runs fine and does everything what is written in batch file.

When I publish in CE10.0 and click at "run now", it sits in pending status for ever.

Am I missing anything.

techie2

Hi,
If your are running it from the Scheduler tab then the Job Server service on the CE server needs to be running under an account that has sufficient rights to that location..If from the Preview tab, then the pageserver needs those rights.

When you run it from a command prompt, it is using your rights..

[profile]

CE 10.0 installation is done using "user" account which has admin rights in my machine. All other software applications have also used same account while installing.

Job server and Page Server were using "local System" account which I changed it to "user" account.

Still no success.

Any more thoughts.

Hello,

Can anybody help me with this.

Just to make sure, you have a "Program" Job Server setup?

In our case, the only way we could make it work was to put the Program job server under Localsystem and then in the CMC we entered the user password of the person who has the rights to execute that script... Any other setup just didn't work for us (Win 2003 server).

Other things to look out for:

Have you enabled executables and bat files in the
Objects->ProgramObjects tab in the CMC.

and have you stated the working directory for your object as C:/ in the PROCESS->working directory field.

If so have you tried running your object in another directory.

Yes, executables and bat fiels are enabled.

I did try with adding working directory, but no success, Also tried running object in another directory.

No luck, still it is pending status.

Is the Program Job Server enabled? - Pending means that there is not currently a server available to process the job.

Does the sample program CountingScript.vbs work? - I use .vbs for Windows.

Kingfisher [CECP]

Yes, Job Server is enabled.

I can try running sample script you mentioned. Can you tell me where can I find it.

V

I have recently done a similar experiment in messing with program objects and have got them to work.

This is my complete instructions that worked.

Notes:
Crystal Enteprise is installed on my machine running Windows XP.

1. I Created a file test.bat and saved in on my desktop
( test.bat consists of one line as follows
mkdir mytestdir
)

2. I Created a directory called test on my C drive eg C:\test

3. I Ensured sharing permissions on this directory so that everyone had FULL PERMISSIONs
on the directory ( right clicked on C:\test folder and ammended permissions and sharing )

4, In the CMC in Object Settings -> Program Objects i ticked the boxes to allow users to Run Scripts/binaries
and to run java programs.

5. In the Objects screen in the CMC, i clicked New Object.

6. In the new object screen i clicked "program" and then in the Browse an existing program object window
and located my test.bat file saved on my desktop.

I then clicked the radio button Executable in this same screen

7. Then in the destination folder i selected a folder "myprogramobjdir" to store the object.
( i had previously created this folder ) .

8) When clicking the OK button we are taken to the details screen for the program object.

9). In this screen i clicked on the process tab and then "parameters", and in the working directory i entered the
directory in which i want the program object to run ( C:\test ) and clicked the update button.

10) I then clicked the "Logon" button and in the username and password fields enter the username and password that
i use to logon to my machine each day. I then clicked update.

11) I then click the schedule tab, and click the "Once" radio button.

12 ) The "run now" box is now visible.

13) I then clicked the schedule button in bottom right hand corner.

14) This then shows my program object test and the status is "pending". Wait a few seconds and click refresh, and
status changes to "Success".

15) I then check in the folder C:\test and a new directory has been created in their mytestdir as expected.

Still does not work, Anyways, it looks like somewhere it is happening because of security/permissions.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

V

Thank you for the step-by-step. I was trying to run my program job server under a non-local id, but this seemed to be a sticking point for me. I set it back to local and followed your other steps and they worked.

I guess it is just confusing to me why the other id would not work -it was granted sharing, security and access to the folder in step 3.
Maybe it needs rights to work in the temp and output folders as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back