Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRW WON'T OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

newworld51

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
US
Sometimes my drive will not open when I push the button on the drive; and also, when I select eject after opening the icon.

Rebooting helps sometimes.
Any Ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

I have seen a Virus course this same problem, it might be worth using some virus software and scanning your system. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

I've seen this happen with corrupted copies of DirectCD. If you have DirectCD installed, uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs and see if the drive will open consistantly.

A reinstall of DirectCD (if you require it) can be done afterwards, and the problem should be solved.

With my old HP burner You had to use DirectCD itself to eject. Pushing the button or doing it any other way wouldn't work. You had to launch DirectCd and click on eject there. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Look for a tiny hole in the front of the CD drive, get a large paper clip, straighten it, push it in, should pop the tray loose.

May also be a small hole [older drivers] for a fine screwdriver, turning the screw should open the tray.

Is this device SCSI?

In any event, you need to download firmware updates and any OS updates (that pertain to CDRW's). My old Yahmaha SCSI burner did the same thing until I did the above.

Digum, MCP, A+, Server+, APS, Network +, CCNA

I have the same problem with my cd-rw, I can open it if I
keep pressing the button. I haven't had to do that since
I put a shim inside, open the cd door with something thin
and shove a piece of plastic inside on the bottom, this will
lift the tray up a little bit. My cd-rw opens every time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back