Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRW problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toraz

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
DE
Hi,
I've just bought a new CDRW and have removed my CD-ROM and installed the CDRW.
Everything appears to work fine but i can't load any discs because it keeps coming up with 'can't load xxxx.bmp'
...in other words instead of getting an autostart screen i get a blank rectangle on the screen....what has happened anyone know....
also i'm on AOL but my I.E. browser has stopped working also.....
help gratefully received!!!!

Are the jumpers set correctly (don't know your configuration? master/slave) master if it's on it's own.
You could also check the properties of the drive in Device Manager and check the appropriate boxes. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Tried all that!!!
I've got it as a master as its on its own.......
settings are right......

Let's back up for a sec...

Close all your apps, and put a basic CDROM disc in that's not blank. Can you browse its contents?

When you said, "but i can't load any discs", I haven't a clue what you're saying. It's not specific enough. Were you trying to view something using IE? What's an "autostart" screen?

ok when you autorun a cd like a game you get the install picture screen come up with install etc.....
i just get a blank white rectangle with no image....hence 'cannot load xxx.bmp'

Ok, I follow. Can you browse the contents of the cd using Windows Explorer? Is there anything flagged in Device Manager?

ok i've tried something else i can browse cds ok.....and if i copy the cd contents to my harddrive i can install ok.....but the minute i try to install from the CD it says 'cannot load xxxx.bmp' !!!!

I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with your CDRW drive. You could even try sticking your old CDROM drive back in to make sure, but I doubt it would do any good.

Did you install software with your new drive? Sounds like a registry entry is corrupt. I would back it up first, then maybe try restoring it from a previous date using scanreg /restore.

Yeh i was guessing reg corrupt too.....might as well do a clean install i think its getting near that time of year!! :))
thanks for your advice....

No prob...
Now that you mention it, my system is due for one!

[cheers]
~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back