Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRW MASTER OR SLAVE ??????????//

Status
Not open for further replies.

kempouk

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
AU
Hi all i am installing a cdrw and i would like to know as this is going on the same ide as my rom drive what would be the best thing to do, set the burner to slave or master on the ide2

I've seen it done both ways. On this machine, the burner is the master on IDE two, but on my friend's machine, it's the slave on IDE1. So pick yer poison. Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Depending on the burn software you are using , I have had problems with Nero not finding Or burning untill it was setup as master it worked for awhile and then started with the error thing untill I switched it to Master,And I would guess it would also matter on how many drives you have on your PC and the coulation of the IRQ .
nightowl17

The CDRW should be on the interface that you do not use for source drives. For instance if you burn from your CD put your burner on the other cable and the same for the hard drive. (Did that make any sense?)

It shouldn't matter if it is set to master or slave, but most would say master given the choice.
franklin97355 has a point about reader and writer not being on the same IDE channel, but this is not really an issue now with the advent of "Burn Proof" or similar technology, buffer underuns are a thing of the past, gone are the days of 1 in 3 coasters, it is quite save to put reader and writer together, besides, the alternative is putting a rom device with the hard drive, which can also have undesireable consequences.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I have my CDRW set as the secondary Master and the CDROM as the secondary slave. I connected the end plug to the CDRW and the centre plug to the CDROM. I use Nero burning (and have no other software loaded).It all works well.
Good Luck.......Dave from OZ

hi guys thanks for the help and btw this mobo has raid and i have 2x40gig maxtors in the system with 512 of 2100 ddr but i dont use the raid as i use 1 of the maxtors for backup hence having them on ide 1 now some 1 told me that i can run a hd from the raid slot acting as an ide with out enabeling the raid controller not sure if this is true as i do need the other drive as backup i supose if i had 3 hard drives i could use raid then and that would free up the ide 1 and 2 for the rom drives but i havent got 3 hd's so could i run 1 hd (master system drive) from the raid slot on its own or would this mess things up ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back