Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRW/DVD & CDR drives won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

superman3

Programmer
May 19, 2001
US

I got 2 drives running under Windows XP Home edition. One is a old Hitachi CDR-8130, and the other is a newer Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352B. In device manager, they both have black exclamation points next to the devices inside a yellow cirlce. In properties, in the General tab, under device status they both read:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I've tried uninstalling the drives and letting windows recognize them again-- same problem comes up, and I've tried a system restore, which I couldn't get a restore point to before the incident to succeed in restoring.

It's most likely a registry issue, possible due to a virus, but I don't know what to do. Any help would be apprectiated. Thanks!

Go into safe mode - device manager - and remove ALL CD drivers. You will probably see many CD entries. Each time you change a drive, a new driver is added but the old one is not deleted. Pretty soon, Windows gets confused!

ok-- I went into safe mode under device driver, but where do I see "All CD drivers"? Also, once I delete all of them, how will they be found again for use with my drives?

I don't know if this will help, but here's what's found in Driver File Details:
All are in the directory C:\\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ with the following file names: cdrom.sys, MxfW2k.sys, redbook.sys, and storprop.dll

I'm sorry. Go into safe mode - Device manager - click on CD - delete any and all devices listed. When you do this, the section called "CD" will disappear. When you reboot, Windows will recognize and re-install the drivers for YOUR currant CD units. You may need the install disks that came with the CD units. If you have any problems, you can always use the "systm restore" to get back to where you are now.

ok---- safe mode-- did that--- there are no sections labelled CD!!! The categories in Device Manager are the name of my computer and sub categories: Computer, disk drives, display adapters, DVD/CD-ROM Drives, and on down the list. DVD/CD-ROM Drives is the only thing resembling what you said. Like my first post said, I couldn't get system restore to work for me, and I already said I unistatlled these devices under DVD/CD-ROM. If there is a seperate section labelled just "CD", I must be missing it. I got WIN XP HOme build 2600. Need Help-- anything-- thanks!

Both devices on a single IDE channel? Any other devices with problem indications?
This was a fairly common problem on earlier windows versions when the IDE controller drivers got corrupted. You could try a driver reload from your M/B driver set.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hey thanks for the post. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about hardware terms to understand what you mean by the ide channels. Could you run me through on what this means and how to check this. Also, it says, "
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" in properties-- could this ide channel thing cause this?----- Someone else on another tech forum site mentioned something that sounded plausible: You might have to many old devices drivers still on your computer---which is true I've had alot of different cd drives on this computer--and you should delete the old ones. He mentioned going into safe mode and looking under "CD" in device manager. When I go to device manager after safe mode, which looks the same to me as in regular mode so why safe mode?, the only thing I see that mentions any where near the resemblence of CD is the device category DVD/CD-ROM drives. So, another question is-- how do make sure old drivers/devices are deleted/where do you go/ to make sure the computer isn't confused. o.k. thanks

There are two doorways to IDE devices on most modern M/Bs. A primary channel and a secondary channel. Each can have master and slave.
If you can get into the BIOS and CMOS setup you generally can get a display of the devices attached, or possibly it shows on a splash screen as the computer is booting.
Yes, corrupted device drivers for the IDE channel can cause the CDs to disappear since they can't be identified.
Wouldn't think that older drivers would be a problem, more that the device that is trying to talk to the existing drivers is flawed. Normally a function of deleting the IDE components in device manager and letting the system reload the correct ones. BUT!!!!!!! if you don't have the M/B drivers on floppy or CD you can kill the whole system by doing this.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

this solution was originally posted on another site. it worked for me and others with the same problem. considering this site was at the top of the Google search for "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)", i thought it would be helpful to post it here.

use at your own risk.

---------------

Here's the piece of advice that worked for me. Let me know if this helps you. If not I have some other feedback that might help you.

If you are using Windows XP try the following steps...

1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. In the "Open" field type REGEDIT.
4. Click OK.
5. Click "File" in the menu bar.
6. Click "Export" from the drop down menu this will open a new box.
7. Click the down arrow beside "Save In" and select "Local Disk (C".
8. In the File Name field type BACKUP.REG.
9. Verify that under the “Export Range”, that the radio button is beside "All".
10. Click Save.
11. Click the plus sign (+) beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
12. Click the plus sign (+) beside System.
13. Click the plus sign (+) beside CurrentControlSet.
14. Click the plus sign (+) beside Control.
15. Click the plus sign (+) beside Class.
16. In the left hand window pane click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key.
17. In the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
18. Confirm with an OK.
19. In the right hand window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
20. Confirm with an OK.
21. Click the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Registry Editor window to close it.

Restart your Computer in order for the registry - fix to work.

Hope this information helps

-----------------------------

This solution works perfectly, Thanks! I knew I need to delete something in the registry, just didn't know where.

Hi d0rk

What do youdo when you try this solution and it locks up your computer? I cannot use my keyboard or mouse to sign on after rebooting?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back