Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRW drive is disabled??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonnie

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
US
Okay for no obvious (to me) reason my cdrw drive is now disabled. When I tried to enable it, I'm told that windows can't enable it.

I'm running XP on a HP Pavillion with Athalon processor. I've never had any trouble with the cd drive before. I was able to open Nero and burn two cd's but I can't access the drive through My Computer, Auto Run, Windows Explorer or by playing a CD.

Hope someone can help me :(

Hi,
Sometimes CDRW drives are disabled when you made a firmware upgrade.

Try reloading the old firmware version of the CDRW.

I'm not sure what you mean by firmware and I don't have any driver disks for this. Bestbuy apparently doesn't sell them with the systems. All I have is a shitty restore disk for ME...which I got rid of

Every CDRW has a Bios like your system.
Firmware is a software embedded into your CDRW Bios which tells your OS its properties like writing speed, etc.

Go to your CDRW manufacturer's web site check any firmware revision. And load it into your CDRWs Bios.
This operation isn't risky. If a problem occurs(e.g. electricity goes off) while loading new software you can reload it again.

Nonnie, as you are unaware of what a firmware is, you most probably did not perform any firmware update, which makes antialias' recommendation unapplicable. Please do not try to update any firmware if you are not 100% sure of what you're doing.

Other than that, I'm afraid I cannot help you because I have not used XP.

You may have more luck with somebody who knows how to play with XP (a local person who can readily sit before the keyboard). In case you have no such person available, I'd advise towards a computer service shop, where they will be able to fix it in a flash, provided that there is no hardware failure. This will incur a cost, but not too much.

Good luck,
Engin

hi,
if I have understood, your CDRW was going (burned CD)
and a day it has stopped to go, without any
driver update neither firmware replace. Right ?

Seems to be an HW problem: try to detach data and power cable from CDRW; get the right driver, and uninstall
CDRW from system. Then connect it again and boot:
what happens ?

bye

I tried unplugging the drive and rebooting etc. Nothing...

I did a google search on my model. Not encouraging...here is just one other site with about 6 people that have this model and it just went tits up for no reason.

I think I'm just another victim of a shoddy product :angry:

Try your CDRW on a different PC and on a different operating system. If its works then its a software issue. Else its a hardware or firmware issue. But i've entered the form that Nonnie told. The guys made firmware upgrade too. So if the CDRW does not work under a different system/OS then it is probably because of a hardware problem.

Have you recently uninstalled any burner software? Just finished a system where both optical drives had become disabled. Did a search in Microsofts database for "code 41" (that was the error code listed in the properties of the drives) and got a document that explained the problem and cure.

Well it has worked on this operating system for over a year and before that it worked on ME.

I dont have another system to try it on.

I'm getting a CODE 22

I haven't uninstalled anything. I did put in some DVD software and I thought it might be the problem so I removed it. I was thinking that's where this "Disk Detector" in my control panel came from. But it didn't uninstall so now maybe I could be wrong and it was there all along! It has my dvd drive as default, so I turned that off. Still didn't work.

Here's a description of Code 22 from Microsoft:

Code 22
The text displayed for this error code differs depending on the circumstances.

If this device is disabled because you disabled it using Device Manager, the following text is displayed:

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.
Solution button: Enable Device
If the device is not started, the following text is displayed:

This device is not started. (Code 22)

Click Start Device to start this device.

Solution button: Start Device
If the device is disabled by a driver or program, the following text is displayed:

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

You can't enable this device because it has been disabled by a Windows driver.
Solution button: None
This code means that the device is either disabled or has not started.

To resolve this error code, follow the recommended solution. For the third case, try removing the device in Device Manager, then redetecting it using the Add New Hardware wizard. If the problem persists, try a clean boot to rule out software interference. If the error persists, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Try safe mode first. Press F8 when the computer is starting to bring up the boot menu and choose Safe Mode.

I'm back again...

I bought a used/working cdrw drive last weekend. I just tried installing it and the computer doesn't recognize it either. It won't let me install it from the Add Hardware.

I thought maybe the master end of the cable was bad so I unhooked the DVD drive and plugged in the cdrw drive. Still nothing.

Now I'm wondering if the drive is okay after all. What the heck could this possibly be software/resource wise?

Now we are sure that the problem isn't connected with the CDRW drive you used.

Have you ever tried changing the power cable of DVD Rom too?
It is a small possibility, but the Power Supply could not generate enough power to the CDRW.

Another possibility is a fault in the Operaiton System or Software Interference. Try your CDRW in a different OS.

Have you recently installed another HW that WinMe didn't recognised?

And check the Plug&Play Awareness option enabled in BIOS.

Well its finally fixed!

I finally called a local repair guy. It took him about an hour and he finally found a problem with the IDE and SCSI controllers. The secondary IDE controller was missing and he thinks that the drivers were deleted for the SCSI controller which on my computer had something to do with how the CD drive runs. He said it was something he hadn't seen alot but he doesn't work on XP alot either. I asked him how the drivers were deleted, if I accidentally did it. He didn't think it was me...

ANYWAY the drive I bought used is junk and my original drive is working again!! Yah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back