Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDRW and DVD rom Error "Incorrect Function"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptukey

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
US
I have a computer that is running WinXP. It is not using Roxio, (I have read that Roxio can cause some issues). But everytime, no matter how the drives are hookied up, I get an d:(typically DVD drive) "incorrect Function". Now if the each of the drive are hooked up by it self. Then I have no issues each drive will work that way. Now I have tried hooking each one up the hard drive chain and still the same thing. So if both drives are hooked up to the system, no matter how the drives are connected, I get the same incorrect funtion error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have a look at the Properties of your CD and DVD drives. Check the Recording tab of the drive you wish to use, make sure that the check box "Enable CD recording on this drive" is selected.

This may have to be repeated each time you use a different drive to burn to.

Set the top drive on the cable to "MASTER" and the bottom to "SLAVE" , avoid CABLE SELECT, whenever possible.....it works for some, and can be a nightmare for others....make sure you have a proper cable in good condition....

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

I've seen some drives that HAVE to be on the same cable, and some that WON'T work if on the same cable. Try a PCI IDE card and see if this will allow them to co-exist.

I checked the properties of the CDRW drive and it is checked for cd recording. I have also tried setting the top drive to master and the bottom to slave. And also visa versa. I have also installed new cables. Still no luck. This computer is for customer and according to the customer is was working fine a week ago, then just stopped working. I do not have a PCI IDE drive, and I am not sure if he is willing to buy one. Anymore suggestions? Thanks for the help so far I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back