Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cdroms won't detect

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpg121

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
US
Hey
I just installed a fresh copy of windows 98 SE on my computer which used to have first edition, and now my cdrom drives won't get detected.

I tried installing a DOS driver for a cdrom and it only works if i boot from the command prompt and then into windows. (i just run autoexec.bat and it works fine, but not if i boot straight into windows) Is there a way to make it run autoexec.bat before it boots into windows? or is there another way of solving this?

I was able to install fine from the windows 98 cds, so the drivers do work fine, its just after the installation, it won't work.

Try this... Go to device manager and remove the CD-ROM. Then reboot the computer (do a cold boot). Windows should see the "new hardware" and install the drivers automatically.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Go to the BIOS and set the detection of drives to AUTO. This should enable the CD Rom. I am presuming the connections never got disturbed otherwise it wouldn't work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back