Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDROM not recognized after removing cdrw

Status
Not open for further replies.

treesha

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
GH
Recently my power supply went and took out the cdrom, soundcard, and hard drive. I just got around to trying the cdrw and it does not work right, so I took it out of the computer. SInce then, the computer does not recognise the cdrom. The cdrom is new, so I dont think it is defective.
I am pretty novice, but looked in device mgr, it does not appear, in the bios, it does not appear there either.
I have amd 750, win me, and at this point only a floppy drive and the cdrom. I have not replaced the sound card. It was a hp8705. Originally the data cable from the seoncdary ide went first to the cdrom as slave, then to the cdrw as master. I dont know which way is right, so I tried both ways. I assume I have the right driver as it worked this morning until I took out the cdrw and since it was installed new about 3 weeks ago. Any help appreciated !

well if you only have 1 drive in there, it should only be set under single drive. if theres two drives, well im sure you know what to do. i had a problem with that, but w/ the hard drive. i just set it to single drive instead of master and it worked. hopefullie that works.

Make sure the jumper on the cdrom is set to master and connect it to the end of the IDE cable. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Make sure the jumper on the cdrom is set to master and connect it to the end of the IDE cable. Then go into the BIOS setup and make sure the secondary master is set to Auto or CDROM. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

Hi evildoughboi,
Thanks, but I dont know anything about what to do to set under single drive. I have only the cdrom and a floppy drive in addition to the hard drive. I dont know what to set to single drive instead of master ? Please spell it out to me like I dont know anything about what you mean, cause I dont ! Thanks, Treesha

Hi Mulga,]
Thanks for responding. I am guessing if I look at the cdrom closely, I will find a jumper there. I'll have a look. I assume it is some kind of switch. Then if I go into bios, I hope I can see how to set the secondary master. I'll report back, Treesha

There are jumpers on the back of the CDROM near the power connector. Little plastic dohickeys, usually black, that push onto 2 pins. There should be a diagram on the drive or markings next to the pins showing where the jumper must be for master. There are usually 3 choices, MA for master, SL for slave and CS for cable select. Use MA
To access the BIOS setup you usually hit the delete key when the system first boots. The IDE configuration will normally be in the first page of the setup utility Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

Thanks everyone, I moved the jumper to the master setting, and used the master end of the cable and just like that I now have the computer recognizing my cdrom. Thanks again, what a difference some helpful information makes. Treesha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back