Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDrom niggle with 3rd scsi hdd connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj75s

Vendor
Feb 3, 2002
GB
Hi
I have a KK266 mbrd running Win98 on 2 ide drives, 1 of which is the boot and an ide cdrom. Also attached is an adaptec 2940Ultra scsi card running 2 drives.

I have 620mb ram and an Athlon tbird 1 Ghz cpu

My problem is that when I attach a third Scsi drive to the adaptec card via the 7 point cable (the Scsi card can handle 6 drives ) the drive works ok but for some reason I loose the autorun function of the ide cdrom. Some cd's run ok but others start to autorun and then freeze. If the 3rd scsi drive is taken off then it all works perfectly. The cdrom is on the 2nd ide port and set to master. I have tried it on the first as master/slave and 2nd as slave also but the same problem occurs when the 3rd scsi drive is attached. Anyone know what might be happening here ?

Also when using Scsi select software the ide cdrom shows up as if it were a scsi device. It is a Cyberdrive 16/12/40 speed ide cdrom re-writer, but somehow the scsi system tries to claim it and also issues it a scsi id ??
cj75s

Weird.
The only thing I would do would be to make sure the jumpers on the SCSI HD are all set properly.

TERMINATION: That could be the issue.

(Also, I don't like using inexpensive CD-ROM's. Maybe it's the CYBERDRIVE ?)

> LAST RESORT: Flash the BIOS on the ADAPTEC SCSI card.

Dear Jakespeare

thanks for reply,

I have wondered about the termination of this certain drive. I have placed it second inline and the last drive is terminated but this third drive is an old one and perhaps needs its own termination?

I shall try this.

thankyou

I hope your only adding one terminator to the end of the ribbon. Any jumpers on scsi hard drives labeled "term" only mean it can/will supply the terminator power. Each scsi chain needs ONE active terminator at the end of the ribbon only. The adaptec host card is auto self terminating at it's end. You can add 15 scsi hard drive to the 2940UW host card and this should have NO effect on the CD-ROM. If for some reason your system is seeing your CD-Rom as a scsi device; change the scsi ID# for this third scsi hard drive and maybe it will no longer effect the CD-Rom. Also if you not booting to the scsi hard drives, try disable the scsi host bios. The operating system will still find the drives. Host card bios is ONLY required if you plan to boot an operating system from a scsi hard drive!

Your SCSI drives can be rearranged on the cable to move the older drive to other than the last position. Make sure it doesn't have terminating resistors in place and only have the last drive with termination enabled. Active termination as is the current standard is preferred method. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back