Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDrom DVDrom gone...//?? help

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBIGBEARzz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
HELP ___ Had to ask a question.
help-- WInXP... all of a sudden cdrom and dvdrom are not recoginized. Not seen in win explorer or anywhere but drives open and show power...HOW CAN I FIND THEM AND GET THEM BACK,,,>>> did nothing abnormal..../??
BigBear
HELP

bigbear, you might try opening your box, and check the ide cables to your rom drives. if they are connected correctly, then unplug them completely, reboot computer, shut down reinstall them and reboot, windows should find them automatically, good luck. everyday you learn something new, the day you dont is the day you die....so make someone live longer teach them something.......MUTT

Have you uninstalled anything lately? This is not uncommon when Roxio's ezcd is uninstalled.

Thanks for the tipz..! But still no joy.. Never installed/unistalled EZCD. Never uninstalled anything.!
I can view them in device manager but even after unistalling and then reinstalling they still show up in device mgr with a yellow exclamation tag... anyH E L P

this is comment when trying to re-insatall...

-Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)-

BB. !

Try this, regardless:

Find and rename all instances of files called/containing Cdr4

Then:

Then go to Start / Run / type regedit
--Navigate in the registry to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / currentcontrolset / control / class /
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
--delete the entries for upper and lower filters
Exit the registry and reboot the computer

Have you tried a system restore? It may work.

Click Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Restore the computer to an earlier time by selecting a date when you know it was working.

There are some viruses out there that hide the cdrom drives from Windows. Just give that a check first.

I had something like that on my XP.
I fixed it by going to the device manager and disabling the CDRW , then reboot and enabled it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back