Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDROM drives disappeared. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhumbo

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
When I go into My Computer my 2 cdrom drives aren't there. They worked just a bit ago. I think my BIOS detects them and I've tried switching IDE cables and such but it didn't help.

Well yeah I do have an 82371EB chipset. But that wasn't the problem. It was somewhere with the controller reinstalltion. Anyways I took the cable out of the Ultra66 and back into the m/b. Now both CDROM drives function great, except for one problem. How can I switch the drive letters around?

Nevermind the drive letter switching, its alright after all. I think everything is back to normal.

New problem: Can't write cds in Nero now.

How about starting a new thread. You can cross reference this thread if you need to.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hello jhumbo,
If you have not found a resolution to your problem ... do this. It's worked for me!

Step 1: Back up the registry
1. Click Start and Run. Type in REGEDIT and click OK.
2. From the Registry Editor window, doing one of the following depending on the operating system:
Windows 2000 - click the menu item Registry and select Export Registry File from the pull-down menu.
Windows XP - click the menu item File and select Export from the pull-down menu.
3. The Export Registry File window will be displayed. Save In: should be set to the Desktop. Next to File Name: provide an easily identifiable filename like "Full Registry Backup". In the Export Range portion of the window, make sure the radio button next to All is selected. Click Save to save an exported copy of the registry to the desktop.
CAUTION: Using the Registry Editor incorrectly may cause symptoms requiring a reinstallation of the Windows operating system. Hewlett-Packard is not responsible for issues, which may result from incorrect use of the Registry Editor. Use the Registry Editor at your own discretion. The Registry Editor should only be used to make the exact changes described.
Step 2: Remove upper and lower filters
After removing the filters, the CD recording software will be have to be re-installed.
1. With a copy of the registry exported, click the plus signs [+] in front of the follow keys in the order they are listed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, and then ControlSet. In some cases, multiple ControlSets may be listed similar to the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002
or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002
2. Click the plus sign [+] in front of either CurrentControlSet or the lowest numbered ControlSet. For example, in the second list above, ControlSet001 would be the correct listing.
3. Click the plus sign [+] in front of Control.
4. Click the plus sign [+] in front of Class.
5. Locate the following key and highlight it in the left window of the Registry Editor (The numbers can be very similar, be careful select the correct key. Another method to find the correct key is to highlight Class, then cut and paste the key below into a Find window accessed from Edit and Find in the Registry Editor.)
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
6. With the key highlighted, the right pane will have multiple keys listed including LowerFilters and UpperFilters. Highlight LowerFilters and press the Delete (Del) on the keyboard. A confirmation dialog box will be displayed asking if the value should be deleted. Click Yes to delete the value.
7. Repeat the process for the UpperFilters by highlighting UpperFilters, pressing the Delete (Del) key on the keyboard and again confirming the value should be deleted by clicking Yes.
8. Exit the Registry Editor
9. Restart the computer. The optical drives should then be recognized and available for use.
NOTE: If the computer still does not recognize the drives, go back into the registry and repeat the above steps for editing the registry for each of the ControlSets listed on the customer's system.
Info found at
Regards,
Paul

The way I solve this problem (which is very common)
is replace the 2 file which control the cdrom
they are ESDI_506.pdr which is in C:\windows\system\iosubsys & IOS.vxd which is in C:\windows\system\vmm32 (Provided C: is were you Insalled Windows) You can get these files from another windows 98 pc
or down load them from the web
Good Luck

This problem has been solved thank you. I cant burn in Nero though, see my other post.

A friend had this problem and it cleared up after running scandisk. I haven't a clue why it happened or why running scandisk fixed it since scandisk said it found no errors. But after running scandisk his drives re-appeared.

This problem has been fixed. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back