Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDROM drive can't read cd's anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eekthecat

Programmer
Nov 13, 2000
US
Hi,

I've got a problem. My CRrom drive doesn't read the cd's anymore... It read the cd's a few day's ago but suddenly it stopped reading.

The only thing I've found is that in my system devicemanagement there is a Plug and Play Bios error of some kind. I don't know what is means...
For the Dutch people on this forum, the error is:

systeemkaart uitbereiding voor PenP Bios

I don't know what is is... and i don't know if it has anything tot do with my CDrom player stopping.

Please help!!!

Have you tried deleting the drivers in Device Management and rebooting then letting Windows reinstall it?

I'll try to delete the drivers for my CDrom drive.
But I'm affraid to delete the drivers for the systemcard extention for Plug & Play BIOS. I don't think that's a good idea. When I checked yesterday I've found that there are a couple new errors. like:

- PCI brige
- PCI Universal Serial Bus
- Unknown device

I don't know where they come from...?
Anyway, i'll try to remove the cdrom drivers and let windows find the new hardware.

You'll hear about it.

Does it read cdroms if you boot from a floppy?

Try this, using a Windows 98/ME boot disk, or a DOS boot disk with the appropriate drivers for your CD-ROM.

If it's OK in DOS, then just remove the CDROM in Windows, as Telsa suggests and reboot.

Hope this helps

eekthecat,

in the past i have succsesfully delited all the drivers you have mentioned in devise manager.

windows should re detact all of these upon a restart.

however I would not recommend doing this unless you have a copy of the o/s just in case. Although I don't think you will have any problems.

as far as the cd is concerned.

try installing the drivers again. You may have to manually install them from the floppy supplied with the cd rom.

if this doesn't work does the bios recognise the cd at start up. there should be some referance to it in the dos style screens you see during boot up. If it is not shown check all connections on the cd rom and mobo. It could be a faulty unit.

If the cd rom is recognised at start up and the divers are installed and recognised by win & working correctly in devise manager. Is the cd rom shown in explorer?

Is it just that the cd rom drive just dosn't recognise the cd you have put in it? try a cd lens cleaning disc.

Just one small hair can cause all sorts of disc reading errors.
I have had all sorts of problems with a cdrw that was just due to dust on the lens.

anyway good luck with your problems.

brendan

Hi,

The CD player is recognised by the BIOS, It's recognised by windows and i've reinstalled the drivers (also manualy from the disk that came with the player) and the CD station is also recognised in explorer. It just doesn't recognise the cd... I've tried to clean it with a cd cleaner. It' just doesn't work..... I'm going to a repair shop, let them worry about it, i'm sick of it...
So hopefulley they'll be able to fix that darn thing.

Thanx anyway y'all!!!

Have you tried a new CDROM...

Have you searched the Registry for "No IDE"?

If you find it...simply delete it and restart windows.....

Hopefully, this will cause windows to not run in "normal" mode and let you have access to the CDROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back