Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDROM drawer won't stay closed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BACUSA

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
US
It used to be that my CDROM drawer wouldn't pop out when the open/close button was pushed. That happened earlier today. Now, a little later, it pops out -- the problem is that it won't stay closed. I've tried it with the drawer empty, with a music CD in the drawer, and with a software CD in the drawer. The drawer doesn't stay closed long enough for the disc to be accessed.

This may be of help: The draw will close (and immediately re-open) if I push the open/close button OR if push on the front of the drawer.

Does my drive have a physical problem? Any ideas what might correct the problem?

Bytheway, my CD-RW drive works fine.

Many thanks for any help.

Purchase a new drive.

There really is little point trying to repair it.

It is possible that you have a virus or something else that is interfering with your IDE controllers. Look in Device Manager to see if it shows anything wrong under the hard drive controllers. Also check for ghost (phantom) devices (duplicate device entries that appear in Dev Mgr in Safe Mode but not normal mode - you have to delete all the devices where you find duplicates and let it/them be reinstalled when you reboot into normal mode)...
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Hi, Zepper & bcastner -
Thank you for your suggestions. I am responding to express my appreciation and to let you know what happened purely for learning purposes.
An up-to-date complete system virus scan reported no viruses.
Device Manager showed no problems with hard drive controllers.
A check of the Device Manager in Safe Mode showed duplicate entries: "QRI Holder for PCI Steering" (4 times) (I could be mistaken on the first three letters) that weren't in the Device Manager in Safe Mode. I deleted the four entries and let them reload in safe mode (all 4 times).
Bottom line: My CDROM drawer still has the same problem. However, I learned from the experience of comparing Device Manager info and will tuck that strategy away for future reference.

You could try removing the cd rom drive, open it up and check that the drawer open/close button is not damaged or stuck in.

Also try checking msconfig to make sure there are no programs running that could be interfering with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back