Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDrom and FLoppy mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

squid64

MIS
Jun 12, 2003
US
I just installed SCO 8.0(7.1.3) and the are no cdrom device files for mounting a cd.I also have been trying to mount a floppy but dont know what file system to designate.I tried dosfs, and dos: mount -F dosfs /dev/fd0 /mnt
But got the error it was write protected.Any thought?,,,

Did you try this:

mount -F dosfs /dev/fd0 -o rw /mnt

r = read
w = write

That should solve your problem.

Thanks PmC, I tried mount -F dosfs /dev/fd0 -o rw /mnt , as well as : mount -F dosfs -o rw /dev/fd0 /mnt.
Both echoed back "error write protected". Cd'ing to /mnt and doing an ls show nothing.I tried different floppies and still didnt work.Im using a proliant 530G2.

Okay, stupid question, but I have to know. Are you floppies in the write protected mode?

Hey no problem,,,Ive done dumber things than that and mistook it for a larger problem.So, no my floppies arent write protected.Really strange,,,ive been banging away at this and cant seem to find out whats going on....Jc

have you checked the Bios setup and looked at the security settings? This could also put the floppy in a read-only mode.

Have you tried this without the dosfs? This is usually how I mount my floppy.

mount -F /dev/fd0 -o rw /mnt

Not sure what else to try right now. I'll keep looking though.

PMC..yeah i tried doing it without the dosfs,,still no luck.Fredirico suggested checking the bios security..Ill give that a try and see...thanks guys....Jc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back