Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDO Email - internal users don't receive mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopdougie

Programmer
Jan 21, 2004
ZA

I have a SendEmail Function using standard CDO code. I run this code on a server to send emails to the domain users.

These users have email accounts set up in Outlook Express.

These Express accounts receive mail from external senders, and external recipients receive mail from my Sendmail function.

The only problem is the Outlook Express accounts do not receive emails from my SendMail function.

Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks for the quick reply,

The platform is Small Business Server
The code uses CDONTS (Version 1.21)
I'm still trying to find out about their mail setup.

Unfortunately I am working remotely and haven't got full access. I have been given email addresses to send to (e.g. name@iomni.com). I execute the code and they tell me that no messages arrived, and indeed I can see the messages stuck in the queue folder. It's as if the addresses they give me don't exist! ;) When I send to other addresses that I know to exist, the code executes fine.

I have a sneaky feeling that they are giving me incorrect info.

I'll check it out and be back with a question, or apologise for wasting space, in a day or two.

In the general scheme of all things email, CDONTS basically does almost nothing. It merely drops files into a (known)folder (in a particuler format) for an SMTP gateway to deal with. And that's it.

If there is a problem, it is probably with their SMTP gateway

Hello all

I have solved the problem. I have always made sure that I use a valid From address in CDONTS email code. In this case I was supplied with a "valid" address which turned out not to exist.

The confusion was that all the external mails that I sent arrived, but internal ones didn't. I subsequently realised that CDONTS doesn't insist on a valid From address and still sends emails out, but they will be rejected by certain servers.

In this situation I can change the server settings, or (preferably) use an existing admin account from which to send.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back