Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDE Login Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

marz13

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
US
I have recently installed and configured three new HP-UX boxes running 11i. The installation seemed to run smoothly, but I have been unable to log in through Hummingbird Exceed.

When trying to login as root I get the standard error: "The desktop messaging system could not be started" and am informed to check the hostname, network, and desktop environments. I am able to log in through a terminal and failsafe session using the root account. The information contained in the /etc/hosts /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/rc.conf.d/netconf files appear to be correct for my system and network. In addition, I have had the servers added to the DNS.

Over the past couple of days I have been searching through tek-tips, google, and HP for assistance to troubleshoot this issue. I have even gone to the extent of re-installing 11i on one of the servers. Currently, I am reading a CDE Login Trouble document on HP's site:

I have read through the document and executed the recommended steps, but am still having the same problem. I appear to be stuck with the /usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt command. The failsafe session I am running results in 0 Errors and 5 Warnings, however, I am unable to read the errors due to the buffer size on the terminal session. What I would like to do is have the errors and warning from this command sent to a file to be reviewed after the command has finished. I have attempted the following commands:

/usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt > output
/usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt 2> output
/usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt 2>&1 output
/usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt 2>&1 > output

and end up with the desired files, but they are empty.

I am fairly new to HP-UX and am not sure what else to do. From reading many of the threads this seemed like the user forum to ask. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Michael

Hi,
You did not mention what steps you exactly took to troubleshoot the problem. I would be interested in:
# hostname
# uname -a
# nslookup <server_name>
# nslookup <ip returned in previous line>
I would also like to check if there are more then one netconf* file in /etc/rc.config.d/. If there are more then one please remove all except netconf.

With dr_dt the line:
/usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt >file.txt 2>&1
should be correct to see the standard output and error in the file file.txt.

That's for the beginning.

mewa

mewa,

First let me respond to your inquires:

#hostname
HPUX01

#uname -a
HP-UX HPUX01 B.11.11 U 9000/800 834960626 unlimited-user license

#nslookup HPUX01
Name Server: xman.psdi.com
Address: 172.22.1.4
Trying DNS
Name: HPUX01.mro.com
Address: 172.22.11.101

#nslookup 172.22.11.101
Trying DNS
Trying NIS
looking up FILES
Name: HPUX01

Thank you for your response. Using the command:

# /usr/contrib/bin/X11/dr_dt >file.txt 2>&1

I was able to view the INFO/ERROR/WARNING indicated by the dr_dt command. I did not receive any errors, but did receieve several warnings. Six to be exact. I was able to resolve half of the initial warnings, but continue to have three:

WARNING: The / directory is not properly configured. The current configuration is:
permissions = drwxr-xr-x
owner = root
group =: sys
For HP CDE to function correctly, it should be a directory with the following configuration:
permissions = dr-xr-xr-x
owner = root
group = sys

WARNING: /usr/dt/bin/xmbind does not exist

WARNING: /usr/dt/bin/suid_exec does not exist

I have written off the first error for two reasons: 1) Based on the note in the troubleshooting guide &quot;Messages indicating that the system has greater than required permissions can usually be ignored&quot;. 2) Every time I change the permissions and group I get the opposite configuration for HP CDE to function properly. I have already re-installed the CDE and do not have any systems which allow CDE connections. Therefore, I cannot copy these two files.

I have worked through the rest of the troubleshooting guide and found a couple of other concerns, but am not sure how to resolve each issue.

# vi /var/dt/Xerrors
mwm: I/O error on display:: 172.22.16.161:0.0

XIO: fatal IO error 232 (Connection reset by peer) on X server &quot;172.22.16.161:0.0&quot; after 1749 requests (1749 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
mwm: I/O error on display:: 172.22.16.161:0.0

#vi $HOME/.dt/errorlog
*** ERROR(4): dtsession: PID 4148: Wed Nov 13 15:38:41 2002
The ToolTalk session server (ttsession) could not be started. This indicates that either ToolTalk is not installed or that it is not installed correctly on this machine. Please see your System Administrator.
*** [268]

#vi $HOME/.dt/startlog
--- /usr/dt/bin/Xsession starting...
--- Xsession started by dtlogin
--- sourcing //.dtprofile...
--- sourcing /usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/0010.dtpaths...
--- sourcing /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d/0010.migration...
--- sourcing /usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/0020.dtims...
--- sourcing /usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/0030.dttmpdir...
--- sourcing /usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/0040.xmbind...
--- sourcing /usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/0060.srcsysenv...
--- sourcing /etc/dt/config/Xsession.d/9000.migration...
--- starting /usr/dt/bin/dthello &
--- starting /usr/dt/bin/dtsearchpath -ksh
--- starting /usr/dt/bin/dtappgather &
--- execing /usr/dt/bin/dtsession ...
not sourcing //.profile (see //.dtprofile)

I have looked at the *.migration files and both appear as though they should function without a problem.

# /usr/bin/bdf
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol3 204800 80088 123760 39% /
/dev/vg00/lvol1 295024 27552 237968 10% /stand
/dev/vg00/lvol8 2609152 174816 2415864 7% /var
/dev/vg00/lvol7 1462272 986912 471688 68% /usr
/dev/vg00/lvol4 204800 2416 200872 1% /tmp
/dev/vg00/lvol6 909312 654176 253152 72% /opt
/dev/vg00/lvol5 20480 2280 18072 11% /home

I moved the requested files and was still unable to log in through HP CDE (Hummingbird Exceed). I will continue to work through the troubleshooting guide on this machine as well as the other two, but any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Not sure if the issue has been fixed, but I found a document on HP's site for troubleshooting CDE failure -
Of particular interest is the information on the nslookup reporting Name Server back as the first line. I followed the document and renamed the resolv.conf. This has appeared to resolve the issue.

Hi,
I cannot see anything wrong in reporting name server in the first line. And renaming resolv.conf means you do not use DNS anymore, do you? So what if DNS is necessary in your system?
I would rather suspect the problem is the name resoving is not correct in your system.

Look at your nslookups:
#nslookup HPUX01
Trying DNS <---
Name: HPUX01.mro.com <---

Here you get an ip address from DNS server and what is more important you get a fully qualified server name (HPUX01.mro.com).

#nslookup 172.22.11.101
Trying DNS
Trying NIS
looking up FILES <---
Name: HPUX01 <---

Here you get the name from host file (why there is not a revers address in you DNS?) and the name of your server is a short one (only HPUX01).

It is certainly wrong. In my opinion you should correct the entries in DNS or stop using it (it is also possible to add a full name to /etc/hosts after the ip address, not as alias, as aliases do not work for all applications). Both of that should solve your problem (unless there is anything else behind it).

If this issue is resolved I would check for the explanatin of the warnings you get when starting CDE.

Bye,
mewa

Sorry for the long time between postings. I have been out of the office. I continued to work on this issue and resolved it this week by creating the /etc/nsswitch.conf file with the following line:

hosts: files [ NOTFOUND=continue ] dns

Now I am able to ping localhost, access the internet, and use CDE. Thanks for all the help and troubleshooting techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back