Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDE Login Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmansmac

Programmer
Aug 15, 2001
GB
When signing into CDE on the console , User ID & password are accepted. But blue screen & eggtimer appear and nothing else happens. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Are on the host locally, or across the network to a remote host ?

Bill.

Locally , on the console. Have tried rebooting but still the same.

From the login screen, select

Options
Session
Failsafe Login

Try again.

Bill.

Thanks , will do. I will let you know how it goes.

Hi bigmansmac
Most CDE problems that I have know revolve around TCPIP config issues. Telnet into the machine or enter through failsafe login and check resolv.conf; or any other conficts in IP and hostname etc. the problem is not far from TCPIP probs -

I have the same problem. It's just my account and it occurs from any machine on our network or on the console itself. Failsafe works fine, but the regular login process hangs infinatly.

Hi All

Most Problems of Hanging CDE is based on TCPIP Missconfiguration.

Check the /etc/hosts -> no Spaces at the End of the File
Is the localhostname,ip-adress ok ?

Check the /etc/netsvc.conf host=local,bind

This steps can be done in the Failsafe Session, or Remote via Telnet.

I agree with AIX5L, the problem may be the /etc/host file. If you made any changes to your network configuration, you may have an incorrect, or even a duplicate entry.

Hello,
This question was asked before do search on CDE on this forum and you will find hits on it.

I've narrowed the problem down to my .profile. The last line calls bash, and half the time it works the other half it doesn't. My PATH includes the directory where bash resides and once logged it, I can run bash from the command line. Very odd indeed. For now I've taken bash out of my .profile and it works fine. Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening?

Why you call a shell in you .profile ?
You can change the Shell in your user-environment for each user
smitty user

I think /usr/bin/bash will work

Well, we can bash in our profiles because bash is installed on /usr/local/bin that has, for various reasons, become an NFS mount accross all nodes. If NFS goes down and I need to get in to trouble shoot, I won't get a shell prompt.

I had an interesting situation develop a week ago following a complete failure of power to our computer room and the UPS ran out of juice. Following the IPL, our H50 would not permit a DT login to complete coming up with the error message about DT Messaging system not starting. I searched for a while and found that the /etc/hosts file only had rw permission for root. This was the same with the hosts.equiv file. After adding read permission for group and other, the DT login work and CDE started as normal. I am suspect ing that the other sysadmin may have editted the hosts file and changed the permissions accidentally. The system had not been IPLed for over 150 days so this could have happened when Luke was a mediclorian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back