Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDE is not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

juggers

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2000
SA
Hi all,

I am using solaris 2.6 suddenly the Monitor is black out, the server is running fine i can do telnet and users are ok, but the CDE (common desktop Environment) is not starting. I tried from X-win32 as well it asks for user name and passowrd and it hangs on the next screen . Any suggestions?

Regards

time is the father of truth

Normally CDE / dtlogin is found in /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin and is read at startup. "This script is also called indirectly by the CDE dtconfig command."

Runs as...
/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon

Hi,
thanks for your reply.. how can i type a command and i can not see anything the server monitor is totaly black. will it works if i run it from telnet?

Regards

Should a server reboot do the job?

A reboot will should pickup the /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin file and load it's contents.

-rwxr--r-- 5 root sys 2804 Mar 14 2002 S99dtlogin

Please make sure the "S" is uppercase. Is this file actually there?

I gave the command but nothing have changed, i checked the file and it is there. Do you think that there is a hardware problem? can i restart this service without a reboot?

Not sure, but you could disable the S99xxxx and "mv S99* to s99dtlogin" and prove h/w is OK, the console should come up with only command prompt after a reboot. Do you have enough resources (memory) to actually run and is dtlogin daemon still executing.

Hi marrow,

I killed all dtlogin processes and suddenly the CDE appeared . thanks alot for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back