Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cdburn with win2k pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
this is my system.
P3 733@900, 192 Mb, SCSI-card (adaptec 1542), SCSI-burner Yamaha 4/4/16, SCSI DVD (Asus 103), Asus Cuv4x M.board, 2 dma66 discs, 1 non-dma66 ide cd-rom.

I´ve tried Nero, Easy CD creator4, CDRwin. All give mysterious error messages. all seem to relate to scsi or ide errors.
The cdburner worked fine in Win ME, 98, 98SE.

Any ideas anyone? Nostradamus

What are the error messages that you're getting? Let us know and we'll try to look into it.=)

Signature:
If all else has failed, will help you solve your computer-related problems. It's fast, it's live, and each session has a satisfaction guarantee.

I know that EZ CD 4 will work in Win2k, cuz thats what I use, I havent tried nero, I know that FireBurner 1.6 will not work with Win2k, and I think CDrwin doesnt either, it depend on the adapti.dll or something like that acpi , I Forget the acronym, but if you reinstall EZ Cd4 on Win2k it should work.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

I use EZ CD4, Fireburner 1.6, CDRwin 3.8D, CloneCD 2.8.3.1, and Nero 5.0.3.1 all sucessfully on Windows 2000.

I don't know the reason, but I did get errors with fireburner and cdrwin until I enabled DMA.

It´s nothing wrong with the versions that I´m using.
I suspect that it has something to do with my scsi-card or ide-cables/configuration.

I use win2k at home and don´t remember the exact error message. The error messages are all different but a typical one would be (after it spits out my cd)... Cannot write something with/on something. IDE/SCSI error.

One other thing. When I insert a CD, Win2k hangs for a couple of seconds before it keeps reading the CD (starts spinning). Is there some tweak to remove that delay?

Rdish41: Where did you enable DMA? I can´t find it under Device manager (where I always found it on win9x). Nostradamus

In device manager, go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced Settings, and select 'DMA if available'.

We had a similar problem with our Yahama 4/4/16. We obtained an upgrade to the firmware from Yamaha and the problem went away.

Andrew

hmm. so you say andrew. I´ll have a look. where did you find the firmware. Yamaha´s homepage?

I know now why I couldn´t find any DMA-settings in device manager. VIA 4i1 drivers deleted those options when replacing first and second ide-channel with Ide Bus master drivers.
Anyone know if Via chipsets and Win2k has incompability issues?

thanks for the replies. Nostradamus

Nostradamus,

Sorry I took so long to reply to the post. Yes, we obtained the firmware upgrade from the Yamaha site. You will need either a DOS or Win 95 boot disk in order for it to work.

Andrew

Has anyone been able to get EasyCD 5 (or 5.01) to work with Win2K? I've also downloaded the firmware upgrader for the 4416S for Win2K, but when it tries to find the CDRW drive it gives me the ASPI (or whatever it is) error.

Thanks

1) Verify rights. I got strange "wrapper" error B4 doing so (EZCD). -md

This error is related to the aspi manger version used by windows 2000 (or not used). In order to fix it you need to update the aspi driver file. Try Adaptec's web site.

I used eazy cd creater once, and it did error out, but that was after it recognized the drive and also after i selected the data that i wanted to burn to a cd. It failed right when i selected the last piece of data, i never attempted to burn anything.

Had the same problem with Easy CD Creator. Try Feurio for music and NTI CD Maker for data - they work like a charm and the price is right

Ignorance if bliss.

Here I have been using Easy CD creator without fault on Win2k since the Release Candidate 2 days.

;-)

I had the problem too, but I found the source of it for my system. Maybe it is the same on your guys' systems. It is not the burning software (but I got the error there); it is the VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA driver. Try uninstalling all the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller drivers. Then reinstall them again with the exception of the VIA BM Ultra ATA driver. To do this I had to use the Abit (motherboard) disk that came with my motherboard.

That should allow you to burn your CDs; however, without that driver your burner can not run as fast as it should without the DMA support. If you play Half Life doing this should also allow you to install that game :)

Anyway, it is some what of a fix, but it would be much better with a good driver. I haven't found one. If someone does please let me knoe.

mcvpjd3 ,

Roxio (now the producer of EZ-CD Creator and so on) acknowledges problems with it's software and Win2k. Mostly, it involves the program Take Two. If you installed it, it is recommened that you uninstall it. However, Roxio does offer a patch fo rit in various forms. Try:

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back