Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-Writers and "Users" under Win2K Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpdoc

Programmer
Sep 21, 1999
IT
Visit site
CD-R Software not initialize the CD-Writer when Win2K is accessed by a simple &quot;User&quot; without Administrator privileges (System Registry access needed?).<br>Who knows how to permit &quot;Users&quot; to use the CD-Writer keeping the others restrictions?

We are having the same problem, EZ CD creator works fine under Admin but under user, no good. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm using Adaptec too. I don't know if this works for everyone, but when ur in admin mode, right click on Adaptec's files and change the properties under the security tab to full control for the users. Hope it works.. :)

Only local administrators have the rights to access devices such as CDR/CDRW's. I do not know why. We have several users in office who need access to a Win2K machine with a CDRW on it. We had to creat a User with local admin rights (and restricted folder access) to use the CDRW, and give out the user name and password to those who needed it. I hope this helps everyone else. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Permissions to the Adaptec Software in the Registry must be changed to Full Control for all users to be able to write to the CD.

In the registry (regedt32)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
Select Adaptec
Security (on Menubar) - Permissions
Select Power Users and Check Full Control
Select Users or Everyone and Check Full Control

changing the permissions in the registry did not work for me. i have had to do this for several other programs and have succeeded, but no luck this time. The error (unable to modify registry, try rgedit) seems to be the culprit. Any more suggestions. Thank you.

Try making the user an administrator in the domain of that one machine only. Very little works for someone who is not an &quot;adminstrator&quot; on his own machine, sorta like: everthing that's actually useful is &quot;advanced&quot; 8-|.

I found a patch on the Dell website that resolved this issue.

Any more info on this patch? A filename perhaps?

Thanks In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

We are experiencing the same problem. Our server is Win NT4 and client are Win2K Pro. I have one user using Nero Burning ROM and I can't seem to get around the user permissions dialog Win2K throws out. He is a member of the local Administrators group. Any hints?

Hugh

In order for a user to be able to have access to a cdrw device the account that is used for login must have local administrative rights on the machine. So if a domain account is being used to login make sure that account is a member of the local administrators group.

When Easy Creator was installed was it set up for &quot;all users&quot;? If not you might want to un-install and then re-install. If that does not fix the problem, you might want to look at any restrictions that exist in your user profiles.

I am not having a problem using Easy CD Creator 5 from either admin or user profiles.

For Nero users - go here to download Nero's &quot;Burning Rights&quot; utility:

Basically what it does is create a new group called &quot;Nero&quot;. Any user you make a member of this group will be given &quot;burning rights&quot; without them being a member of the Administrators group.

Also, I found that changing the &quot;Restrict CD-ROM Access To Locally Logged-On User Only&quot; from Disabled to Enabled would achieve the same outcome. Its under Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy>Local Policies>Security options.

One solution I have found to this problem is to run a compatws on the machines under an administrator authority account. First go to start, run, type in mmc to bring up the security console, click console, go to add/remove snap in, click add and add security configuration and access, ok to get back to console, right click on security configuration and access, open database, type compatws in file name line, click open, right click on security configuration and access and click on configure computer now. This will make the computer more compatible so your regular users will be able to burn cd's without making them administrators on the computer. Hope this helps you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back