Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd writer WONT WORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
Hi<br>I just got a hp 8250i cd writer. I loaded on a machine running win2kpro and it was reconized but the software(adaptec create-a-cd) will not run without update available via snailmail or buy for 99$ so I loaded it on the other machine running nt4.0 w/sp6a. I burned one cd and now nt wont reconize the cdr at all. I want to return burner and try something more compatible. ANy sugestions//brands//makes//models<br>Thanks

My HP 7200i died after burning just a dozen or so disks.&nbsp;&nbsp;Having spent a lot on it, I was not impressed.&nbsp;&nbsp;I ended up getting a cheap Cicero and it has been going strong for months on end.

I´ve tried several HP drives and they have worked flawlessly. &quot;Best in test&quot; in several swedish computer magasines. Never tried a 8250 though.<br><br>danr: ever tried a different software for burning under win2k? like Win-on-cd or Nero?<br><br>I have a Yamaha SCSI burner myself (4x,4x,16x) and it keeps making my life miserable. Don´t buy one of those.<br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

hehe he's right about the Yamaha drive, my family (I left it to them) has a Yamaha 4x4x16, it's just nuts, works sometimes, and sometimes it doesnt, depends on how many more coaster than good CDs you get. the one I have now, is a Mitsumi 4x2x8 IDE, it has worked perfectly for me. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Hi,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Ha ha..! Karl, for your Yamaha, I know what your talking about..! I got the same problem.. Yamaha admit that they have a detection problem with Windows... Go Figure..!?! I changed it for a Ricoh and now I have a HP 9110i.. Man..! It works great..!!<br><br>We sold a lot of your 8250i..! Here's few things you must do..!<br><br>When you installed Easy CD Creator in W2K, YOU MUST NOT REBOOT..!! You must install version 4.0 and you say NO to rebooting..! After, you install the patch 4.02c for Easy CD Creator, and what..? YOU DON'T REBOOT..!! After, you install the patch to Direct CD... NOW, YOU REBOOT..! It will solve the problem..!<br><br>Best of all, you don't even need to upgrade your firmware..!<br><br>You have both software that come's with your burner but with the HP application.. I don't like it so I created a shortcut on my desktop to Easy Cd Creator and another for CD Copier, and now, they work just fine..!<br><br>Hope this will help.. and buy the way, here's a note from HP:<br><br>Note: Microsoft Windows NT Workstation/Server 4.0 and all versions of Windows CE not supported.<br><br>So, forget it in NT..<br><br>Ben_Cool <br><br><br> <p>Ben_Cool<br><a href=mailto:ben_cool@hotmail.com>ben_cool@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

hehehe, Since I live on the third floor, perhaps i should let mother nature (gravity) take care of my Yamaha once and for all. <br><br>A Mitsumi sounds nice. No problems what so ever Karl?<br><br>Ben_Cool: What I dissapointment... Don´t they support Win CE? Would have been cool though.<br><br>Anyone know if a 8-10x burner makes the cd-r discs harder to read? <br>Someone told me this and a friend of mine burned a copy of diablo2 to me (for backup purposes of course) and that disc locks during the game. Reading constantly (as if looking for a specific track) and after a while it works again.<br><br> <p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I havent had a single problem with it, of course the software I use is FireBurner (for ISO) and CDrWin(for burning files right off the drive onto the CD) I had to wait 2 weeks later for the vendor to give me the software CD that was supposed to come with the drive, and as usual it's AdapTec EasyCD 4, I havent been able to start burning with it since Adaptec claims CD Buffer UnderBurn, oh well, but I know it works perfectly with all other software I've tried. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Hi,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Nostradamus: Nope, it doesn't work on CE and yes, it would be very nice.., they do that so they can sell you another costly drive..!! lol..<br><br>Mitsumi is rather nice but still, some customers here, they're having little problem of compatibility and sometimes, buffer underrun... go figure..!?!<br><br>Here's some model that works with NT:<br><br>HP CD-Writer Plus 8200i<br>Microsoft Windows 9x or Windows NT 4.0 with SP3. Note: Windows NT server not supported.<br>------------------------------------------------------------<br>HP CD-Writer 8210i<br>Microsoft Windows 9x or Windows NT 4.0 with SP3. Note: Windows NT server not supported. <br>------------------------------------------------------------HP CD-Writer 9100i<br>Windows 95b, 98, Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4<br>Note: Windows NT Server 4.0 and all versions of Windows CE not supported.<br>------------------------------------------------------------<br>HP CD-Writer 9200i<br>Microsoft Windows 95B, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation (SP4)<br>Note: Windows NT 4.0 Server and all versions of Windows CE not supported.<br>------------------------------------------------------------<br>HP CD-Writer 9300i<br>Microsoft Windows 95B, Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation (SP5),<br>-------------------------------------<br><br>That's about it in HP..<br><br>I have an 8x burner, the HP 9110i.. GOD it feels good..! Seriously, before burning, you must do the SYSTEM TESTS, it will show you the maximum your drives can tranfert the data, little and bigger files on your system. If it's lower than 8x, you should go to the nearest speed. But on my system, there's no problem at 8x.. I've backup some games of mine and my HD, works fine, no problems at all..<br><br>No, it's not supposed to change a thing. It's written the same way as a 2x..! Maybe, your friend forgot to include some files.. that's what I'm thinking or he had problem while copying the CD.. Ask him to do you another one, and re-install, you'll see.. (Make sure to save your SAVE folder, you won't lose anything..! Maybe he had a BUFFER UNDERRUN and that can be a cause for corrupted files..<br><br>Hope this helps..!<br><br><br> <p>Ben_Cool ;)<br><a href=mailto:ben_cool@hotmail.com>ben_cool@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

That buffer underrun error only seems to persist with Adaptec's burning software, All other burning software runs perfectly, so it's not a Hardware problem in my opinion but a software support problem. That is at least my experience. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Yep..! It is a software problem Karl.<br><br>This problem is mainly due because the software is not fast enough for all the hardware but Adaptec is saying that it's because of the cd-writer.. NOT ALL THE TIME..!! HA HA..<br><br>It's the software, that is using the memory to make his buffer not necesserally the CD-Writer..<br><br>The other softwares, they have a better control on that.. Good point..! <p>Ben_Cool ;)<br><a href=mailto:ben_cool@hotmail.com>ben_cool@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have a HP 7200i CD-Writer and after a few months the drive faild, constantly corrupting CD's. I contacted HP and they replaced the CD-Writer within a few weeks. i have now had my new HP 7200i for about 7 months and it appers to be working fine. i sujest you contact HP and they may replace it o take it in for repairs.

CDrWin doesnt show the buffer, but it burns ok, FireBurner(best for *.Bins with Cue files) will have a progress bar showing how much of the buffer is loaded at a time, you'll see it increase as you start to burn, and depending on what yer doing on the computer, you may see it fall back and forth about 1 to 5 % of the progress meter nothing serious, then you see it fall down when it finishes, so basically you know how much buffer is being used (The Mitsumi I have uses a 2Meg Buffer) I'm going to assume that Adaptec takes a huge Memory load initially, then blames it on the CDrw sometimes. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

danr.....<br><br>beleive it or not the patch is on the CD,<br><br>when the s/w asks for the patch disk or update disk, go to the folder on the install CD.<br><br>I also had nothin' but grief from adaptec, go Nero.

I exclusively use a HP9110 and cloneCD software on Win98, Win NT and Win2000 platoforms. I have yet to make a coaster.<br><br>J. Rotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back