Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd writer opening and closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roysanders

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
Got a problem here. Every so ofen the cd writer ( my E drive) will start to open and close repeatedly by itself. At the same time the cd writing icon appears next to the mouse curser. I have to reboot to spot it. Any help?

It is only a idea.

Nero and other programs install a checker on the system tray; maybe these programs are corrupted and trying to access the cd-rw. To fix it, run msconfig and disable them from the startup.

I had same issue a while back on one of my machines. I always run Nero too. Tried turning off the Nero checker and still had problem.
There was some file left somewhere that made pc think it needed to burn a cd. Like it had tried to burn previously and got interrupted.
Problem is I can't remember what folder. Probably under 'application data' at some level under current userid. I know I was able to see the file name at some point otherwise I wouldn't have tried to delete it. Try to right-click on the cd writing icon when it shows up and see if a file name is there. Or go on into the cd writing software and see if you have file name(s) there. If so, locate it and just delete the file.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Some virus infections can cause this type of behaviour.

Yes the tray is aways empty when this happens.

You may be the victim of a practical joke ,I had this problem two years ago and found out(((after))), I had reinstalled my OS, that someone had put this small program on my machine. What a waste of time. Check here for more info ,

If you are the only one accessing your machine I think linny is on the right track

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back