Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd writer buffer underrun

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegs

Instructor
Jul 12, 2001
GB
i have a sony 8x/4x/32x multiread cd writer, it has just gave me an error message of a buffer underrun & retry failed try reinstalling software, ive tried but no difference, i have been told the head on the laser has been mis aligned by trying to write a large file? anybody have any ideas thnx

Huh? If that's true, it's a new one on me (not an impossibility by any means!). Any buffer problems are to do with the memory used to control the flow of data to the cdrom writer so the data doesn't get interupted. I always get confused as to which is which, but I think an underun means not enough data is getting through, whilst an overrun means too much data is getting through.

Is this a new problem (ie- has it worked before and now does not)? Or did you just get this burner and this is the first time you've used it? A number of things can lead to a buffer underrun, but I seriously doubt you have damaged your burner. Things to do:

Defrag your hard drive! Even if you are copying directly from a CD-ROM drive to the burner temp files are written to the hard drive- if it is badly fragmented or low on space this can cause an underrun error. Also, if both drives are on the same controller this can cause problems.

Shut down any background progams that are running, particularly if they are accessing the IO subsystem regularly- Virus scanners can be problematic here.

Have you got enough RAM in the machine? The burer software may say 64MB is enough, but with RAM so cheap a step up to 128MB (or better yet 256MB) could be a good fix for this or any other performance related problem.

Hope this helps.

ummm, underuns i have experienced on several CDRW's , mainly due to slow processors or lack of memory, u need at least a p2 266 ideally (8 speed write) and dont do ANYTHING else like play mps etc. Also if its IDE and your CDROM then u shouldent really copy from one cd to another directly, copy to your hard disk first, overwise u will oalso get over runs and underruns.

Here are a few rules I learned (the hard way) about buffer underruns:

An underrun occurs when the writer runs out of data from the PC and doesn't have anything to write on the CD. Writing MUST be a continuous process, so this wrecks the CDR. To prevent this problem, you can try writing at a slower speed, i.e. tell it to write at 6x or 4x instead of 8x. Also, only write CD's from data residing either on your hard drive or on a CD in your computer. Trying to write files on a network to a CD usually doesn't work as the transfer rate is just not fast enough. Also, are you using an internal or external writer? I had an external USB that worked fine on one notebook, but when I got a new one I had nothing but problems. I finally bought a Yamaha FireWire drive (16x10x40) and it works GREAT!

So far as the laser damage you mentioned, it is possible to override the settings on some CDR's to make them write more data to a blank CD. This works OK until you miscalculate and crash the write head into the drive mechanism, after which the drive is basically junk. This is something that would have had to be done intentionally (adjusting the write head travel), so unless you did it yourself, it's probably not the issue.

Good luck!

thanks for the replies guys but no joy yet, i have 512ram 1ghz cpu, i dont multi task while recording, i have just uninstalled easy cd & installed winoncd & a different error "power calibration area error" it reads a cd ok but fails to write one, very frustrating.

Try checking DMA in the Cdrom settings.
Nick

gegs,

First thing you need to do is to find out if the cd writer supports "BurnProof" technology. More about Burnproof and Buffer Underruns later...

Secondly, you need to answer jaeddy's question: "Is this a new problem (ie- has it worked before and now does not)?"

To help prevent Buffer Underruns on cd writers that don't support BurnProof technology:

- disable your screensaver
- CTRL-ALT-DEL for task manager and end-task on everything except explorer and systray
- then, open your CD-Writer software (i.e. Adaptec Easy CD)
- make sure all data that you are writing to the CD is on the hard drive
- with a system like yours, you shouldn't have to slow down the speed of the burner

If the problem persists, then try burning at 2x or 4x. If neither works, then it is probably a hardware issue.

About Buffer Underruns:
* when writing data/music to a cd, the cd writer first starts by caching data in its buffer. Some buffers are 2MB on older cd writers, while newer ones have up to 8MB. If the hard drive is unable to keep up at a given moment, the amount of cached data in the buffer goes down. Usually, this only occurs temporarily, and the hard drive gets a chance to catch back up and refill the buffer - hence the point of having a buffer

* when a buffer underrun occurs, the laser is still writing, but the buffer is empty. The source of the data (either a 2nd cdrom or your hard drive) is unable to "refill" the buffer in time. At that moment, the software turns off the laser and returns the error message.

* BurnProof technology allows the laser to be turned off or paused when a buffer runs dry, until the source can catch back up. In order to use BurnProof technology, the hardware must support it, and is a plus if the software supports it.

Hope all this helps,
teknikal

The "power calibration area error" is caused by the reuse of a CDR you tried to write to before. When the drive first starts, it calibrates itself by writing to an area directly surrounding the spindle at the center of the CD. When you write a certain number of times, this area becomes full, thus the error. Try a new CDR. Also, note the statement I made earlier: make sure you aren't trying to write from a remote source that would slow things down.

Good luck!

Wow, there is a lot of great info here. I learned alot!!

OK, now my 2 cents. This may also help.
I've have success tweaking my system settings.
By changing to a perminate swap file, tweaking the
vcache settings, lowering my burn speed and crossing my fingers, I was able to burn a cd :)

--Chris

thnx to everyone who gave their "precious" time to reply there are some really useful tips for probably every cd burner,but mine, the burner i have has bit the dust (i think) to tell the truth i cant find the receipt for it ive had it 8mnths with no probs, a friend lent me a film on cd (divx format) i tried to copy it for my own use & it copied ok, but after that it gave the errors, thnx again guys, happy computing i love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back