Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD to Cd Burning???

Status
Not open for further replies.

edstout

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm using my Plextor 40 12 40 writer to write from hard drive to CD-R without any problems but when I attempt to write from my other CD tray directly to CD-R it crashes even with Burn-Proof activated. Could anyone enlighten me as to why this may be and/or give me suggestions on how to go about fixing this problem.

I am using Nero 5578.
Plextor 40 12 40 - Writer
Teac 32 4 4 - Writer (other CD tray)
Athlon 1200
512MB DDR RAM

Thanks in advance.

Ed Stout

Have you tried lowering the burn speed? Try something like 8x.

Do you have the CDROM drive on the same IDE channel as the burner?

Well, you don't want to move the CDROM onto the same channel as the hard drive, but if you did, I bet this problem would correct itself. At the same time you would risk slowing your entire system down to a crawl (forcing hard drive to operate at ATA/33 or possibly PIO-mode).

The best solution would be to invest $25 in a Promise IDE ATA/100 or ATA/133 controller card that would give you a total of 4 IDE channels instead of just the 2 you have now. Then you could put each device in your system on its own channel.

[deejay]
~cdogg

I'm affraid I already have the source drive on a seperate IDE channel as I've got an IDE controller but it still is having this problem. Any other ideas?? Might it be some settings within Nero? I have a friend with a similar set-up and he manages to burn on the fly without any problems. I'll give the 8X a go though and see where that leads me.

Thanks,

Ed Stout

Have you tried using Plextor Manager 2000? I usually have good results with that. Also, I rarely burn from CD to CD, too many headaches and coasters. I find it's usually easiest to use Plextor Mgr 2000 and burn a temp image first and then to CD.

What's "burn proof"? Do you mean "Test and Burn"?

I also suggest lowering the burn speed. Your TEAC can't read at 40x so it can't keep up.

I always burn to source drive first, as the "on the fly" copying is really sketchy at the best of times. It requires absolutely no interruptions from other processes.

You might want to try CDRWin as well. I've found that it does CD copies a little better.

In your cd burner soft ware run the system test that establishes the transfer rate of all your drives. In adaptec cd creator its under the tools menu bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back