Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd-rw won't open 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tb913

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2002
US
one of our cd-rw's won't open. When you start the machine, the light on the cd-rw comes on and stays on and does not respond to pushing the button. I have tried the paper clip trick and it is not jammed. I also tried opening directCD and ejecting it, but that does not work either. Because the light comes on the second you start the machine and never goes off, it leads me to believe that it could be a problem with the drive rather than a software problem. Any ideas? Thanks. C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN

you can try going into my computer and right clicking on the drive and selecting eject, if taht is any different from direct cd,

or you can take it out and force it open with a screwdriver, it may be that the gears got offset somehow

He tried the "paper clip trick" and it worked, so I wouldn't try a screwdiver. Sounds like a bad drive to me. Is it showing up okay in device manager? You might boot into safe mode and see if there are more than one listing of it there. If so, remove all but one, or better yet just remove it altogether in safe mode and re-boot and let windows find it and re-install and see if that fixes it. You may have to replace the drive. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

hello tb913
this is Pcexpert here. Well i beleive nobrain is right this is something a problem with the Drive so you have to replace a drive .

Regards
Pcexpert

Check the properties for the drive and see if it is locked.

A client of mine rang me up with the exact same problem!
It turned out he had a virus which Norton's sorted out and now everything is fine again. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

HI
I have similar problem.My CD writer doesnt open and also shows green light.
But for the time being i need to install a local printer which is asking me to insert the CD for the drivers.
TO avoid that I got the drivers from the net. But when i added the printer, it says all files are not there and is looking for CD.
so is there any way i can get this problem solved for the time being.
the printer i am trying to install is HP laserjet2200.
also when adding it doesnt give me this option. what is the other one i can use compatible to this.
THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back