Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD RW through Parallel Port using Shuttle Technology's connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddo

Technical User
Jun 28, 2002
GB
I have recently upgraded to Windows XP from 98. I was running a CD RW through the parallel port of my laptop, using Shuttle Technology's connection utility to connect it.

With XP however, I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried installing the SCM Microsystems PPort ATAPI and SCSI Adapters, but I get a Code 31 error message saying Windows can't load the drivers for this. All other messages I have seen relating to this error message relate to the installation of Adaptec DirectCD, which i have not installed.

If I re-boot with the CD RW attached, Windows does not recognise it at all. I'm not sure what else to try, but am certainly loathe to go out and buy a USB external CD RW.

Can anybody help?

What are the settings for the Parallel Port in the BIOS? Try the different settings available to see if one of them will allow for Plug and Play on the CD-RW. I suspect it's set to standard...try EPP, EPP/ECP, ECP, or Bi-directional...some devices that plug into the parallel port are not compatible with ECP, but I'm not sure if this is one of them. Good Luck.

Just a thought - what has the mfr - Shuttle, been able to help you with as well? Or their web site?

Dave

I have emailed Shuttle (now SCM Microsystems), who provide the same driver on their website as is available through Windows XP.

So far they have not responded. I have tried all the different potential drivers to make the connection utility work, but to no avail.

to explain something a little further; the CD RW is an internal one, put into a Traxdata Plus Series box that connects via the parallel port.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

I know that you said that you didn't particularly want to go out and buy a USB CD-RW, but if you are patient and shop around, you can get a fairly good deal. I was able to get one for about $80 after rebate. And, if you have USB2 on your PC, it is a whole lot faster than the parallel unit I used to use (with Shuttle drivers). BlackburnKL

I know all the advantages of USB, but as I have a baby on the way I cannot really justify any additional expenditure on gadgets, much as I would like to.

Plus, it's intensely frsutrating that what used to work no longer does on a supposedly superior system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back