Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW reads all cd's except store bought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozman

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
CA
Here is my problem. I have a 4x2x32x cdrw. It will read most cd's fine, unless it is a store bought music cd, in which case it won't read it. Also, when I burn a cd full of songs, say 20, at the end only 5 or so will actually be usable. Any help with either of these problems would be greatly appreciated. I have a duron 800, 256 ram, 20 gig hd, winxp, Nero Burning rom, and a 40x cdrom. Thank you in advance for your help.

If this is a new development your burner may be just giving up the ghost. Might be time to upgrade. How do you have the disks configured? Is the CD-RW on the same IDE cable with another device? You might try it by itself as a "master". Are you copying CD to CD? I have had problems similar to yours doing it this way. I now record to the PC and then burn from a file. I get fewer coasters that way. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

It could pssibly be the CD-ROM drive. I have 2 CD-ROM drives in the same system on the same IDE cable. I have switched them around on the ports on the same cabel as well as trying different cables and get the saem problem.

The CD-ROM drive worked fine for nearly one year after I bought it and then it started to stop reading certain cds that could be read in the other CD-ROM drive without any problems. It only happens with certain cds as well, not all cds. These certain cds used to be readable in the 'bad' CD-ROM drive but now have difficulty being read and I have tried it on different OS as well (Win9X, ME, W2K, XP, Linux, UNIX, DOS) and get the same trouble. I am now thinking of buying a new CD-ROM drive. So consider this while you look into the problem but I have given up. Remeber, life is what you make it.

Since it's an older drive and has seen a lot of use, have you tried cleaning it?

When you say it won't read a store-bought music cd, is it just not playing or can you not see anything in Windows Explorer when you try to view the contents?

When I put in a store bought cd, windows doesn't recognize that there is a cd in the drive. It says "please insert disk" when I click on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back