Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW options for G3 Powermac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adkmom

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
Hey there all,

I'm searching for this for a Mac friend. She'd like to get a burner & another friend has offered to upgrade her but says she has to get either an external firewire or USB drive. Firewire- expensive. USB - slow because I'm sure her unit is ver. 1.1, also expensive. IDE internal- CHEAP!

What's the reason for this? He said she could use a regular IDE hard drive (so cheap now) to replace her teeny 10GB (& she's a Photoshop instructor)-- so why can't she use an internal IDE burner? I even suggested that if it's a matter of bays open or something that she should just have him pull & box the current CD-Rom as a backup & install a burner.

Sorry if my Mac ignorance is showing- i just can't get this.

Waiting to be educated,
Mom

Does your friend already have a CD-ROM drive in the Mac that she wants to switch with a burner? AFAIK the only potential problem might involve not being able to boot from CD should the need arise, but I'm not sure if that's a problem anymore (it's been a while since I've dealt with that issue). If she can buy the internal burner and have the ability to return it for refund if it doesn't work properly, then I can't see the harm in trying.

There's another option that might be cheaper than buying an external burner, depending on price -- buy an external FireWire case and an internal IDE burner separately, stick the burner in the case and there you go. Of course I don't know much cheaper (if at all) it would be compared to buying an external burner that's already assembled, but it might be an alternative to look at.

Just finished a confab with another Mac consultant on this very issue. What we determined is that the current CD drive in that b/w G3 (yosemite) can be pulled aand an IDE CD burner can be plugged right in with no trouble.

Now we haven't done it yet so... :)

macgeneral

Yes, a cdrw burner can easily be substituted for the present cdrom in a G3, either the beige or B&W. I have done so myself with the sony 24x8x32 but many others will work fine. I believe Lite On is the fastest, cheapest and most popular at the moment. For detailed recommendations from others who have done this check the cdrw dadabase at This website by Mike Breeden has many other useful Mac resources. Mike also has a section of detailed instructions and photos for user installation of upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back