Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW incompatibility 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
GB
I used to be able to exchange files easily from my PC (Win 98 1st edition) to my MAC (OS 8.6) using CD-RWs. The discs were automatically burned using the UDF (Universal Data Format) via a Hewlett Packard standalone 7500 series burner and Adaptec Easy CD Creator version 3.5b burning software on my PC. I never made any choice of format for the data-writing – it just happened.

However, my new Sony PC (Win XP-Home) is burning to CD using the CDFS (ISO 9660) format (written with the Sony DW-U10A DVD/CD multi-burner via either Veritas or Real Player burning software bundled with the PC) and my Mac is having trouble reading all the files properly. For example, HTML files come through on the Mac as HTM, making any website coding that links to HTML completely invalid.

I’ve looked, but I can’t find any option to change the way these discs are being written.

You’ve probably gathered I don’t really understand what’s going on or what, if anything, I can do about it. All I know is I now can’t transfer files between computers in the easy way I used to.

a) Is this a Win XP issue?
b) Is this a CD-burner issue?
c) Is this a CD-burning software issue?
d) Is there a solution?

All help gratefully received. Thanks.

TRY ROXIO 6 OR ANOTHER BURNING APLICATION THAN WHAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING. SONY HAS THIER OWN WAY OF DOING THINGS (THEY WANT TO BE LIKE MICrosoft)

Thanks for that guys... but can you or anyone else offer a slightly more thorough explanation as to what's going on for a newbie at this...?

Will these more sophisticated burning software products AUTOMATICALLY burn in UDF rather than CDFS..? And if so, why..?

Nero has a wizrd, but if you close that and use the menu, you choose what format.

cd formats:

CD ROM (ISO)
Audio CD
Mixed Mode CD
CD Extra
CD Copy
Video CD
Super Video CD
CD Rom (Boot)
CD Rom (EFI Boot)
CD Rom (Hybrid)
CD Rom (UDF)
CD Rom (UDF/ISO)

Try downloading a demo version and giving it a go. With the price of CD-R's you have nothing to lose.

Thanks MasterofNone - I'll give it a go!

Use Nero InCD for UDF Packet writing to format the CD RW.

I use it for CD RW and DVD RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back