Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW Hangs in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyjim

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
US
Help!

While copying files using Windows (XP Pro) Explorer to a formatted CD-RW(roxio direct cd 5), the process gets to a certain point & hangs. I notice it occurs when copying large .cab files. I seem to be able to cancel this action, however when I try to log out or reinitialize, it tells me there are files open. The drive also seems to "cycle" up & down quite a bit in rpm's...

Any ideas?

Which cable are you using - an old 40 pin or a new ATA 80 pin cable? I recently had problems with a CDR attached to an older cable - the problem went away when I changed the cable. Also check your bios and look at the DMA settings - some BIOS's don't support DMA on a CDR if they are using the 40 pin cable. If you have an older cable - try disabling the DMA setting and see if it works then - if it does then get a new cable.

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

Hi there, you might have to get an update to your Roxio Direct CD5, as I remember that some where incompatible to WinXP, but ROXIO has updated drivers on their website... so go there and check it out...

Ben

Another thought - why use Roxio to burn a CD? XP will do it itself - just copy the files you want to CD and follow the wizard.

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

I've had problems like this before.

It's either a bad CD, (try a new formatted CD-RW)
-OR-
The CD-RW lens has some dust on it (try blowing it out with the tray open using a air duster)
-OR-
The CD-RW drive is defective. (Replace)

If it has worked once and you haven't changed any settings then these are the most likely reasons in my experiences.

Thank you all for your responses. I needed an update from roxio to direct cd to bring it to v. 5.3.5. Working beautifully now - life is good!

Thanks,

RJM

Hi there, glad to hear that it helped...

KimLeece - the built in burn software of XP is quite "SH*TY!" that is mostlikely the reason he is using ROXIO DirectCD...

Dholt - that would've been my next or first thing I would've said, if he had used anything else but ROXIO DirectCD... but there are more things to consider than a bad BURNER, like a bad IDE cable, no CHIPSET Drivers installed, or no ASPI layer, etc...

I prefer the use of NERO6 or CloneCD/DVD... but that is a matter of taste...

Ben

BadBigBen - Well, I deal with these kind of things all the time. I'm still learning though. I've rarely seen an IDE cable go bad, but it does happen. If it copies at all it rules out other things. Time is essential in my job for the customer's sake. I go by most likely solutions and process of elimination. One thing I've learned in these forums is that I need to get ALL of the facts for now on. Some key information was missing here. CD-RW's don't just misbehave IF they once worked correctly and that was what I was assuming. Yes, I used the word "assume." Sorry.

Dholt - nah, don't apollogize... we are all just learning...

btw I've seen quite a few IDE cables that went bad, mostly they where old ATA33 cables, the newer ones are a bit more qualitative...
I am also in the biz and know what you mean timewise...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back