Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW Drive won't eject. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogdensnut

Programmer
Mar 14, 2003
GB
I have an LG CD-RW drive, model no.CED-8080B that won't eject a disc. I have tried the emergency eject but this doesn't work either. There is power going to the drive and when I operate the emergency eject the drive sounds like it is going to eject but nothing happens. Any suggestions would be gratefullly received.

A virus can do this or if the drive thinks it still has something queing to write or a write operation isn't complete. The CDRW disk may need formatting otherwise the next time you use it in the drive it could do the same.
Just press the eject button before it boots into windows.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Applications can lock the drive,

right click drive icon and select eject...

if that doesn't work, and no error messages appear....

use taskmanger to end the direct CD app

Still no eject? paper clip shoved in the hole

Still no eject? buy a new drive!

I have used LG a lot and nver had a hardware problem yet
(over a dozen drives 8x to 40x)

Try booting into MS-DOS using you boot disk and see if there's a problem there. If there's no problem, that indicates the problem lies within the applications running while running windows or windows itself. Try installing the latest driver avaliable for your drive.

Just a thought. Scsi drives have a disable pin (amongs the other config pins at the 'back'). When disabled the drive does not eject.

There is a hole in the front of your cd. A paper clip fits into it. with your system off a careful steady hand and a strong paper clip push in the hole and the door will open. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

Thank you everyone for your advice
I tried the paperclip in the hole trick but no joy, I ran a virus scan, no viruses, I right clicked the drive icon and hit eject, again nothing, I rebooted and pushed eject before windows booted and out came the disc! I can only presume that there was a problem with the disc itself.The drive has been working fine since. I now know what to do if a similar problem occurs in the future. This is the first time I have posted on this forum and I have to say I am very impressed. Thanks again for the advice people, it is very much appreciated

Your cd is bad I bet it's a burn or is scratched. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back