Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW Drive Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

FumaBob

Technical User
Sep 25, 2009
US
Hello

My Hitachi GCE: 8483B CD-RW optical drive is recognized by the system and is listed in the Device Manager. However, it is only functional as a CD Rom. I no longer have the ability to format CDs or write data to them, since I had to wipe the system and reinstall everything. What am I missing?

Thanks

Also, it'd be worth checking to be sure you don't have some optical drive related program running that's blocking access, or at least partial access to the drive.

Any sort of "silencer" program for making the drive run quieter can do it. Also, if you've possibly got more than one program trying to keep a close eye on the drive, then they could be having conflicts.

In case it's one of these options, you could disable all the startup items under msconfig, or else restart in safe mode, and see if you can get a task done that way.... if it works, you know it's something in your startup items... which would likely be one of the above scenerios.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thanks for all of the good tips. I'm going to try a new burning software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back