Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW/CD-ROM don't read disks properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Whenever i swap in a new CD into either the CD-RW or the CD-ROM the computer thinks that the CD inserted is the one that was previously there. What i mean is say i have a game called Counterstike in the CD-RW. Then i take that CD out and put in Norton Anti-Virus disk. When i go into my computer the CD-RW icon shows that counterstrike is in the CD-RW. And when i go to its properties it lists all the files that are on the counterstrike CD, not the Norton CD. I have to open and close the CD-RW a bunch of times before it "reads" the CD and figures out a new CD was put in.

Try this...

At the top go to the VIEW menu...and choose refresh.
(After you have changed disks)
I pledge to share any information I have and advise to the best of my knowledge based on the information provided. If I have helped, please vote my post helpful.

What OS are you using?

Some OS' do not commit writes immediately and therefore if you eject a disk that has unwritten data in the computers memory (buffer), the disk information table from the previous disk remains in memory. It often does not matter whether the disk has been written to or can be written to. The computer just retains this junk assuming it will be needed. Try using the eject function that came with your software (e.g., right click on the drive from within Windows File Explorer and select eject) before inserting a new disk. This will force the computer to commit writes to the disk (or at least commit the disk info, to oblivion).

My experience has shown that refresh does not always perform this essential function. . .

I am uncertain how, but believe there is a way through the system registry to force the computer to commit writes to a removable disk immediately and to refresh more often.

Can someone PLEASE refresh my memory? WinNT is really giving grief with a 100 MB ATAPI internal zip.

Frak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back